Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post Ch 7: Credit Card Authorized User?

Hello all,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where it applied. We just passed the 60 day mark and the attorney said we should be getting our discharge paperwork within the next few weeks. My question is if I am ok with getting a credit card as an "authorized user"? I don't mean as a way to build credit again. The issue is my employer just told me today that I will likely be traveling 2-3 times a month and will need to rent a car, secure a hotel, etc. I would be reimbursed through expense reports so no company credit card. Is it okay to try and have my mother get me an Authorized User card? Or will they deny that since American Express was one of my past creditors? Has anyone had experience with this?

I've been getting approval notices from Capitol One but I'm not sure if I should be doing that before I get my discharge paperwork? Whatever the case may be, I'm very worried because I'm not sure how I can rent a car or get a hotel without a credit card. Just looked online about renting cars and it seems next to impossible unless you can rent for an astronomical daily rate along with a very high "deposit".

Thanks for all the info here. It was very informative through this process.

(I deleted your other thread which was the exact same question. Please try not to open the same question in multiple threads and areas of the forum. It will dilute your answers and will make it hard to follow the responses.)

You bring up a good question on whether an "authorized user" (AU) is akin to having responsibility for charges. In most cases, the answer is no and the primary cardholder remains absolutely responsibility for all charges. There are exceptions! American Express is one of the creditors which binds the "authorized user" and the "primary cardholder" jointly and severally for all charges made by the "authorized user". I would say that if you are an AU on a non-AMEX card, you should probably be okay since that's not incurring debt.

You can actually rent cars, purchase airline tickets, and pay for hotel stays with a debit card. (I'm talking about a debit card, not a prepaid or stored value card.) I have used debit cards for YEARS of travel... since 1994. When I started with a larger company, I did use AMEX, but when I filed Chapter 13, AMEX wasn't happy especially with my personal cards. So for 2.5 years, I only used a debit card. It works great, but you do have the problem with having to "carry" a lot of expenses (the most I carried was close to $7K before reimbursement). So, a debit card can be a blessing and a pain at the same time. But, I made it through my Chapter 13 -- if you call making it converting after 20 months and receiving a Chapter 7 discharge. I still used the debit card for almost a year post my Chapter 13! I still use my debit card at times because I really don't want to use credit for certain things.

Maybe your mother could get a non-AMEX credit card and have you as an authorized user.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thank you, just broke! Sorry for the double post. After the first, it seemed like it made more sense in this forum.

That makes sense. I went to a few major rental agencies and they said credit card was required? I think it was Enterprise and National. Then Thrifty said they take debit with a $500 deposit but the daily rates were 3 times the normal rate. How did you do it? Maybe I'm missing something. I will ask my mother is she can get me an AU on her own Capitol One card. I never had a card through that company so I imagine it wouldn't be an issue. It would help to have an actual credit card as I've heard my company can take upwards of 60 days to reimburse.

But, in general, I'm all for Debit Cards now!! It feels amazing to pay for everything with "cash" so to speak. It's been 1.5 years now that I stopped using credit and it feels great to purchase and never have a bill in the mail afterwards. Thanks again for your input.

Comment

I have had absolutely no issues with National, Hertz, or Avis. Of course, I'm a member of their elite programs for each one (Emerald, Hertz #1 Club President's Circle), and am never charged more for a rate. I get my corporate rate which is very low. I pay what everyone else pays for Hertz which is an extra $200 hold over the estimated rental. I pay what everyone else pays for National/Alamo which is the actual estimated rental. It may be because I'm in their rental rewards programs, but I've never ever had any problems with my debit card!

In fact, I get a text message upon arrival to the airport from Hertz telling me which car they assigned! At that point, they already did the hold on my card!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X