top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Wanted to Share My Excitement and Thank You, Capital One!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Wanted to Share My Excitement and Thank You, Capital One!

Three months after my Chapter 7 discharge, I was able to buy a much-needed car! Around a month after I was discharged, just to see where I would be, I tried the Capital One preapproval. They offered me up to $40K for a range of APRs up to somewhere in the 10% range.
    About two months after that (3 months past discharge), I tried again and was offered up to $40K at 2.59%- around 5%! I spend a lot of time researching cars and looking for the right one and was able to get a 2014 Escape Titanium with 7,400 miles (yes that's accurate- it was a lease) on it for about $19,500 out the door. I opted for the long haul (72 months) at 4.24%. The dealer tried to beat the Capital One deal and couldn't even come close. He said my Fico auto score was the highest he had ever seen (717) for someone in my situation in the 23 years he's been doing his job (proud moment . Despite the higher score, the recent BK meant I was denied by quite a few lenders he tried or the rates were not even in the ballpark. The second best offer was around 7% and it went up considerably after that.
    I can't say enough about Capital One and the chances they have given me already (a QS card as well with a $3K limit for now). It was wonderful to go in knowing I had a rate I could live with and that I was leaving with a car regardless of any financing through the dealer. I know it's been mentioned often in other posts, but they will do a soft pull for the preapproval and as far as I can tell from my research, they are the only ones who do this.

Proof of life after bankruptcy! Congratulations.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Proof of life after bankruptcy! Congratulations.
      Seriously. I am still picturing life after bankruptcy as very doom and gloom. Giving up that "safety net" of having credit available is just huge and scary in our current situation.

So -- OP -- really, congrats! And thanks for sharing your story. It gives me a little bit of hope.

Comment

I was scared to death to file and put it off repeatedly. I eventually committed to filing pro se and remember feeling a little sick handing the envelope over to the post office clerk. It was really one of the smartest things I have ever done. After years of not sleeping well, feeling anxious, and worrying about financial ruin I did something about it and now feel in control of my life again. Plus, sleeping through the night is awesome!

Comment

I am really happy for you!

My husband and I had another big discussion last night (this is our Saturday night fun lately -- we get the kids to bed, have a drink, and talk about bankruptcy. LOL) He brought up how scary it would be to not have credit cards, in case something happens to his mom or his grandma (12 hours away) and we would HAVE to travel. I shared your story with him and told him, as much as the thought of having credit cards again makes me sick ~ there will be offers. It's hard sometimes to be able to look at this as a door opening, instead of one slamming shut. A beginning instead of an ending.

Comment

Chrysalis, how are you doing? I've read some other posts and I know your situation changed repeatedly but I was wondering where you've landed at this point.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X