Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!) (updated: 04/28/2015)

Welcome to the Bankruptcy Forum. Bankruptcy (BK) Forum is known as BKForum.com and will be referred to as BKF hereinafter. In order to ensure a long term success of our vibrant community, we have established certain rules and guidelines to which everyone must adhere to. Please take your time to carefully read our rules, before you start to participate in the community.

Things you agree to do:
BKFORUM.com (BKF) users agree to use the search function before starting a new thread. This prevents duplicate discussions and allows for better organized topics.

All BKF users agree to read the sticky posts which may be available at the top of a forum page. These Sticky posts often contain valuable information. They may also outline more rules and guidelines specific for that particular forum, stickies are put in place by that forums moderator(s) or admin(s).

Things you agree not to do:

All BKF users agree not to call people names or write a post simply to make a personal attack, or get a negative reaction; this behavior is not allowed on our forum. The use of derogatory language aimed at anyone will be severely dealt with. There is no need to agree with each other, or to even like each other. However, by signing onto BKForum.com you agree to treat each member and guest with the respect they deserve. No threats or personal attacks will be allowed.

All BKF users agree not to discuss, engage, or encourage any behavior or activity which violates the law. Discussion of drugs, violence, murder, theft, vandalism, fraud or any other issue which could be used to help individuals break the law is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to "bump" old threads, unless there is a specific benefit to the community by doing so. But in most cases, please don't post in very old threads, instead start new threads.

All BKF users agree not to attempt/use another members account. It is against BKF rules to use any account other than your own. Impersonating another member will result in an immediate ban. It is also against the rules to open more than one account in your own name without permission from a moderator or administrator. If you have been banned for any reason, it is against the rules to open another account. If you were banned temporarily and you are caught using another account you will be banned permanently. Choosing a moniker which is similar in either sound or spelling as a moderator or administrator is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to private message any moderator, admin, or other member with questions related to their personal circumstances (Questions about the forum or issues with the forum are ok). This forum only works when members share their experience and insights with everyone.

Things you agree not to post:
All BKF users agree not to post any derogatory/racist/or sexist remarks. This includes attachments, links and all information contained within posts, signatures, and avatars, failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban.

All BKF users agree not to post any copyrighted or trademarked information without the express written permission of the owner(s) / proper citation of source.

All BKF users agree not to post any real names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, social security numbers, or any other personal details (their own or other people's).

All BKF users agree not to post links, pictures, attachments, videos, or the like of pornographic content, objectionable material or extreme violence, whether cartoon or real.

All BKF users agree not to use BKF for advertising purposes without a written contract between yourself/company/agent and the administration of BKF. Blatant advertising will result in a ban.

All BKF users agree not to spam the forums. Spam includes but is not limited to posting erroneous, non-relevant-useless, off-topic, or meaningless posts. Spam may also include posts which contain no text, or large areas of blank space between lines. Simply posting emoticons without text is considered spam. BKF is the largest bankruptcy message board and all the content is intended to help other users. Please help us improve the quality of our forum by making sure that your posts are well-worded, spell checked, grammatically correct and syntaxed.

Regarding actions of moderators and administrators:

The forum is no place to air out your opinion or be judgmental of our staff and its capabilities.

All BKF users agree not to abuse or mistreat moderators or administrators. It is against BKF rules to post any information regarding bans or any other action taken by a member of the moderating or administrative team. If you wish to discuss bans or warnings please do so via PM. To place a complaint against a moderator, send a PM to a super moderator. All Moderators are equal, any decision made by a moderator must be adhered to. If a moderator tells you something you do not like, do not go to another moderator looking for a different answer. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. The moderators work as a team and respect the decisions made by their peers and will help enforce them unless an administrator tells them differently.
If you have an issue with how the forum is run, then notify one of our administrator and we will look into the situation. We have in the past and still do appreciate any input that you offer this forum. But critical input and/or judgmental postings towards the staff will result in you getting banned.


Should you find a thread offensive or out of line, then notify a Mod in a PM so they can evaluate the situation and do the action deemed necessary.

All moderators do have active "other" lives outside of the forum and help moderate this forum in their spare time throughout the days and weeks.

If you have a problem with a member or Mod follow the proper channels of reporting it.

BKF reserves the right to delete any posts which contain anti-BKF comments or discussion. Any bashing of moderators or administrators, or any of their discussion or actions will also be deleted, and the responsible posting party(s) will be banned. Any public anti-BKF advertising, communication, or posts on another forum will result in permanent bans as well.

All warnings and bans are decided by individual moderators and administrators. Warnings are preferable to bans however, for serious offenses and repeat abusers bans will go into effect. The length of the bans can vary from several hours to permanent.

All messages posted or sent including through PM are the property of BKforum.com.

All BKF users agree not to advertiser on the forum (Niether by posting, private messaging or using your signature). If you are a company/attorney/legal adviser wishing to advertise on the site or sell a product, you must contact the head administrator and inquire about our advertising packages.

All bankruptcy related opinions expressed on BKForum.com are those of their authors and not necessarily of BKF, its staff or representatives.

You agree not to copy any material/post/content from BKF without written permission from our head administrator .

By posting on this forum you agree to these terms and conditions, including any punishment deemed appropriate by moderators or administrators in the event of an offense.

Administrators/Moderators can change these rules at any time without prior notice.
See more
See less

Approval 1 month post discharge.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Approval 1 month post discharge.

    Just wanted to put this out there. Bought a car yesterday. A 2009 Chevy Impala with 20,000 miles...no down payment and financed with 16% interest from Americredit through a local Ford dealership. We expected the high interest rate and we went in there saying we wanted no down payment and payments at $380 or lower....we got payments of $375 and are on our way to re-establishing our credit. We don't want credit cards and will never get another one.....so we figure this was the best way to go about it. Also my 10 year old van's transmission was going out and it needed tires and the front was caved in during a hit and run in a store parking lot last month...it needed $2000 worth of work and we just couldn't see putting that much into that old of a vehicle with 162,000 miles! I was nervous about getting approved at all, but it was easy. We had to provide check stubs and proof of insurance, more than someone with great credit, but overall it was a good experience.

  • #2
    Originally posted by berrymom35 View Post
    Just wanted to put this out there. Bought a car yesterday. A 2009 Chevy Impala with 20,000 miles...no down payment and financed with 16% interest from Americredit through a local Ford dealership. We expected the high interest rate and we went in there saying we wanted no down payment and payments at $380 or lower....we got payments of $375 and are on our way to re-establishing our credit. We don't want credit cards and will never get another one.....so we figure this was the best way to go about it. Also my 10 year old van's transmission was going out and it needed tires and the front was caved in during a hit and run in a store parking lot last month...it needed $2000 worth of work and we just couldn't see putting that much into that old of a vehicle with 162,000 miles! I was nervous about getting approved at all, but it was easy. We had to provide check stubs and proof of insurance, more than someone with great credit, but overall it was a good experience.
    That is great news, Berrymom35!! I am just behind you here on a discharge, hopefully.
    We are attempting to keep our two fairly new cars and keep the low interest rates, but at least now I know there is hope out there to get another car, if turns the other way for us..................time will tell on 12/14.
    (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
    :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

    Comment


    • #3
      Congrats!

      We, too, are 1 month post discharge & were also just approved thru Americredit but at 18% interest We decided not to take the loan though for several reasons 1.) I currently have a 2006 Chrysler T&C minivan w/50K miles on it that a friend of ours who owns a used car lot financed us for 3 yrs @ 10% interest (so we don't really NEED a diff vehicle right now 2.) We didn't want to finance a 2004 for 6 yrs @ 18% interest -- not only because of the age of the vehicle but also how quickly we woould end up upside down due to the high interest rate 3.) We talked to our friend who owns the used car lot yesterday & he ran our app thru the local credit union and it would have been approved @ 8% interest had we been 90 days post discharge so ofcourse we decided at that moment not to go with Americredit.

      Now, had we really needed something to drive right now then we would have likely taken the Americredit high interest loan and just paid more towards the principle every month. Thankfully we didn't have to go that route tho

      Good luck to you... we all need to start somewhere in this rebuilding process... like you, we aren't getting ourselves back into the CC thing...we may get one secured card thru our bank purely to rebuild our credit but that's it... honestly, if we didn't want to sell our current home in the very near future and purchase another then I don't think we would even worry about rebuilding just yet
      Filed 8/2009
      Discharged & Closed 11/2009
      Now the rebuilding begins....

      Comment


      • #4
        congrats i file chapter 7 this summer with 30k+ in debt. My credit is like 400 something. I went to trade my truck in even money for a car and end up getting a loan for 10k on a jeep wrangler. I figured i was getting a nice car out of it plus the loan will help me post discharge. NO begging for a loan. Plus being a 24 year old college student it would be hard. Those dealers work the banks good. My mom and dad got turned down at the same place on there own. Better credit better income. Guess they like the dealer i used. I almost bought a 2008 impala 25k white soft clothes seats felt like a costly bath towel. But the wrangler was a calling

        Comment


        • #5
          I find it funny that people coming out of BK jump right back out getting a 20k vehicle or something...you know if you are ever in a tight spot for a vehicle, you do not have to leap to the most expensive source right off the bat..you can get some very good deals on vehicles on craigslist.. I got a 1998 jeep in great condition for $3000 - I also got
          a grand caravan for $2,000 - again, runs great, and great condition..I do not understand why people are coming out of BK just to land back into a 20k or more vehicle...I would have to bet at least 98% of all vehicles are used for work...so why spend a lot of money just to go to work, letting the expensive car sit there all day..then go home...does that make since?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dscurlock View Post
            I find it funny that people coming out of BK jump right back out getting a 20k vehicle or something...you know if you are ever in a tight spot for a vehicle, you do not have to leap to the most expensive source right off the bat..you can get some very good deals on vehicles on craigslist.. I got a 1998 jeep in great condition for $3000 - I also got
            a grand caravan for $2,000 - again, runs great, and great condition..I do not understand why people are coming out of BK just to land back into a 20k or more vehicle...I would have to bet at least 98% of all vehicles are used for work...so why spend a lot of money just to go to work, letting the expensive car sit there all day..then go home...does that make since?
            Some personal decisions are good and some are bad after discharge. A good portion of those folks going back into debt shortly after discharge will just find themselves back posting on BK forums in another 8 years wondering what happened.
            _________________________________________
            Filed 5 Year Chapter 13: April 2002
            Early Buy-Out: April 2006
            Discharge: August 2006

            "A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

            Comment


            • #7
              I think for some it might be the right choice. My debt has nothing to do with cars or loans. It has to do with a failed business mainly due to the credit card charging company and the bank i used both screwed me over and cost me my business. i was doing 20k to 40k in the summer. and 15 to 25 k in the winter working on jetskis. About 50% of that was in my pocket until some dam **** at the bank cost me 4800 on a check they did not check that bounced. I got a 21% loan on a 05 wrangler. I did it for the 4x4 and to help build my credit i will be filing this April or early may. I figure having the loan now will help me after discharge.
              Originally posted by bigtim6656 View Post
              congrats i file chapter 7 this summer with 30k+ in debt. My credit is like 400 something. I went to trade my truck in even money for a car and end up getting a loan for 10k on a jeep wrangler. I figured i was getting a nice car out of it plus the loan will help me post discharge. NO begging for a loan. Plus being a 24 year old college student it would be hard. Those dealers work the banks good. My mom and dad got turned down at the same place on there own. Better credit better income. Guess they like the dealer i used. I almost bought a 2008 impala 25k white soft clothes seats felt like a costly bath towel. But the wrangler was a calling

              Comment


              • #8
                SURPRISE!!! Any car loan is debt. Debt is what put you in bk in the first place. There are very, very few people that NEED a new car and taking on a debt of convenience after a bk is just ludicrous. I'm sure I will get blasted for saying this, but C'mon and get in the game and starting making responsible and mature decisions.
                Filed 8/25/06, Discharged 11/28/06, CASE CLOSED 11/14/2007!

                Comment


                • #9
                  I will blast you a little. Getting aloan you can pay is a mature decision for some. Buying a old junk car that will not make it 100 miles might not be. I just got a loan it will be paid on time or ahead every month. If I loose my income we are all screwed. I see no reason to get a 30k loan when a 10k loan would do. Who needs a perfect brand new suv to get to and from work. My loan was 10k I would not think of a 30k loan like some. Though I did it more to help my credit then to get a car as I had a truck paid for that I traded in.
                  Originally posted by Brendon View Post
                  SURPRISE!!! Any car loan is debt. Debt is what put you in bk in the first place. There are very, very few people that NEED a new car and taking on a debt of convenience after a bk is just ludicrous. I'm sure I will get blasted for saying this, but C'mon and get in the game and starting making responsible and mature decisions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dscurlock View Post
                    I find it funny that people coming out of BK jump right back out getting a 20k vehicle or something...you know if you are ever in a tight spot for a vehicle, you do not have to leap to the most expensive source right off the bat..you can get some very good deals on vehicles on craigslist.. I got a 1998 jeep in great condition for $3000 - I also got
                    a grand caravan for $2,000 - again, runs great, and great condition..I do not understand why people are coming out of BK just to land back into a 20k or more vehicle...I would have to bet at least 98% of all vehicles are used for work...so why spend a lot of money just to go to work, letting the expensive car sit there all day..then go home...does that make since?
                    Not that I feel the need to explain myself, but......the car we bought was no where near $20,000, nor is it brand new. We got a programed car with 20,000 miles at a reasonable price with an affordable payment. This car replaced the vehicle that was falling apart and not worth repairing. I agree with the poster who couldn't understand buying a car that will last for a few thousand more miles before needing repairs. This works for us and our situation and we feel it will help re-establish our credit for our future. This board is about buying a car post discharge and I thought it would be helpful to post my experience. If you are looking to pick a fight go to the chapter 7 board...they love drama over there!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bigtim6656 View Post
                      I will blast you a little. Getting aloan you can pay is a mature decision for some. Buying a old junk car that will not make it 100 miles might not be. I just got a loan it will be paid on time or ahead every month. If I loose my income we are all screwed. I see no reason to get a 30k loan when a 10k loan would do. Who needs a perfect brand new suv to get to and from work. My loan was 10k I would not think of a 30k loan like some. Though I did it more to help my credit then to get a car as I had a truck paid for that I traded in.
                      I'm not picking a fight, just offering my opinion and it's worth what you pay for it.

                      but you shouldn't be SCREWED if you lose your income. It's a proven fact that every car reposessed has a loan on it. If you had a paid for car, or an emergency fund you would not be SCREWED. Part of maturity is learning to delay pleasure and taking a loan for 16% (or 21% ) is just not worth the worry or the problems associated with it. I can assure you, the rebuilding of your credit is worth far less than the interest you will pay every month for that car!

                      Do the math. $10k borrowed at 8% interest you will pay about $2100 in interest over the life of the loan. $10k borrowed at 21% will cost you $6200 over the life of the loan.

                      Again, I just offer my opinion for my situation. If you can live with that than you shouldn't listen to me.
                      Filed 8/25/06, Discharged 11/28/06, CASE CLOSED 11/14/2007!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think you are right. And you will blast me for this. I had a 2007 Chevy 1/2 paid for. traded it for my jeep with about 10k diff. At 21% I did this to fix my credit and get a vehicle that fits my needs I had another truck and not need the truck. I need the better space and 4x4. My hope is to refi after bk or pay it down to a few thousand and not be paying thousands in interest. I think paying 6k in interest would be stupid. I do not plan on it. It depends on alot of things. My brother bought a 2k car it burns oil and tans fuild. He totaled it the day he payed it off a month after he had gotten it. Ate 1k on the pay off and deductible. If my jeep wrecks I would come out about even due to the fact I am ahead on it. Though if I run the loan out I will lose my equity in interest.I would not be total screwed if I lost my income but my income Is SSDI and V.A education benefits from my dad being a disabled vet. If I loose that the country has finialy hit rock bottom and file chapter 7 like the rest of us. My plan is file in June be done in aug. and use my fall student loan to pay it down. Hey they told me I could use the loan for transportation.
                        Originally posted by Brendon View Post
                        I'm not picking a fight, just offering my opinion and it's worth what you pay for it.

                        but you shouldn't be SCREWED if you lose your income. It's a proven fact that every car reposessed has a loan on it. If you had a paid for car, or an emergency fund you would not be SCREWED. Part of maturity is learning to delay pleasure and taking a loan for 16% (or 21% ) is just not worth the worry or the problems associated with it. I can assure you, the rebuilding of your credit is worth far less than the interest you will pay every month for that car!

                        Do the math. $10k borrowed at 8% interest you will pay about $2100 in interest over the life of the loan. $10k borrowed at 21% will cost you $6200 over the life of the loan.

                        Again, I just offer my opinion for my situation. If you can live with that than you shouldn't listen to me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          BigTim-

                          Best of luck to you and I wish you a speedy recovery through this process. Everyone's situation is different and when I offer my opinion I can't possibly understand everyone's situation. I just hope that others can learn from my mistakes. Good Luck!
                          Filed 8/25/06, Discharged 11/28/06, CASE CLOSED 11/14/2007!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Congrats to you! We bought a used 2008 Grand Caravan about 6 weeks ago at 12.75% with Chase.

                            I understand what people say about getting back into debt but for us it was the right choice. We only gave 13K for it and we have 2 small kids with another on the way so we needed all the space we can get.

                            We thought about buying something for $2 or $3K and for dh we did but for me we live in the country and dh really didn't feel comfortable with me driving so far every day with the kids in a clunker you know?
                            4/09 Converted to a Ch 7 due to loss in dh's income
                            5/09 UST now involved no idea what happens next
                            7/09 UST has decided to withdraw his motion to dismiss!
                            7/27/09 DISCHARGED!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Okay, I said in an earlier post here that we have chosen to reaff two newer cars instead of letting them go back. Yes, most do bk to attempt to clear ALL debt. Not in our case. We have two newer cars with low interest rates, and not behind on them. Why in the world would we let them go and sign on for new wheels with outrageous interest rates if we can avoid that. We all need vehicles before, during, and after bk. It was CC debt that was killing us. It may not work for some, but for us it made complete sense.
                              (first 341 10/14/09, cont'd 341 10/23/09) (12/14/09 last day to object) (341 Shows HELD w/tt report of no distribution 1/9/2010)
                              :clapping Discharged 1/25/2010 Case Closed 3/11/2010:D

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X