No announcement yet.

What are best "beater" cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add my 2 cents, I am a diesel lover. Had 7 VW's . I'm at 220K now and still getting an overall 40 mpg. We have a farm and off road diesel runs well. Anything after 2003 is a very nice engine of a completely different design.

I am off subject I know, but if you can find a cheap Jetta diesel, they are relatively trustworthy forever. One caveat with ALL cars: Find out when or if the timing belt has been changed. 100K is the absolutely critical to have it changed. If it breaks on most engines, you will blow the engine. NO valve clearance with TDC.

Beaters are all over our neighborhood as people are hurting to sell off extra stuff. Buy from an individual and never pay the top price. Cash is king. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by basketsbears View Post
      So for Volvo - is it better for newer ones, like 1992's and after?

If I'm being too personal please excuse question, but how much was your Volvo? Is the 240/brick the most reliable, without the electrical problems? Can it use regular unleaded?

I am also maybe considering some type of mini-van as I have 3 grandsons that I take around from time to time.

Thanks!

Lynn
      Hey Lynne, no prob but I can't quite answer as we don't have the car yet. Just bought it, hoping to pick it up in a day or two. Our mechanic said don't get anything before 90. But my friend with the 82 has hers for sale, can barely stand to part with it - it got all her kids thru school, has 270K and still going strong. They are asking 1800 and I was seriously considering it. Then I found this one, 10 years newer for 3500, guy promises it will go another 100k and he has a good rep. I hope it works out. Would LOVE to have something newer but it just isn't in the cards right now. Maybe some day.

I was offered an '01 Accord for a little less cash- but they are notorious for transmission probs, and I really like the idea of all the metal around my kid. So we went with this instead.

As far as I know it takes regular gas. We weren't told it doesn't.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
        Hey Lynne, no prob but I can't quite answer as we don't have the car yet. Just bought it, hoping to pick it up in a day or two. Our mechanic said don't get anything before 90. But my friend with the 82 has hers for sale, can barely stand to part with it - it got all her kids thru school, has 270K and still going strong. They are asking 1800 and I was seriously considering it. Then I found this one, 10 years newer for 3500, guy promises it will go another 100k and he has a good rep. I hope it works out. Would LOVE to have something newer but it just isn't in the cards right now. Maybe some day.

I was offered an '01 Accord for a little less cash- but they are notorious for transmission probs, and I really like the idea of all the metal around my kid. So we went with this instead.

As far as I know it takes regular gas. We weren't told it doesn't.
        I'm so excited for you!!! Keep me posted.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          To add my 2 cents, I am a diesel lover. Had 7 VW's . I'm at 220K now and still getting an overall 40 mpg. We have a farm and off road diesel runs well. Anything after 2003 is a very nice engine of a completely different design.

I am off subject I know, but if you can find a cheap Jetta diesel, they are relatively trustworthy forever. One caveat with ALL cars: Find out when or if the timing belt has been changed. 100K is the absolutely critical to have it changed. If it breaks on most engines, you will blow the engine. NO valve clearance with TDC.

Beaters are all over our neighborhood as people are hurting to sell off extra stuff. Buy from an individual and never pay the top price. Cash is king. 'Hub
          Thanks for the information on the timing belt. I had seen on CL where people had mentioned when the belt was changed, did not know it was such a big deal.

Thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X