Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, why would wells fargo tell me I qualifed for up to $495,000 based on my app???? I could NEVER afford that kind of payment!!!!!

--------------------------------------------
    Nick already answered this in his above post.(lending tree, although it pertains to all lenders)

Look, take the bull by the horns. YOU TELL the mortgage company what you are comfortable paying including PITI, principle, interest, taxes and insurance. Tell them to back a mortgage amount into what you are comfortable paying.

These SALESpeople AKA mortgage brokers and the uneducated consumer is what got us into this mess.

How many times have you heard now people saying.........I didn't know what I was signing?

Comment

I know exactly what I can afford and will not budge from that amount NO MATTER WHAT! I will know exactly what I am signing in regards to type of loan, PMI, taxes, insurance, HOA fees, etc etc, and what my final payment will be before I do anything!

I just think its terrible that they encourage people to take such huge loans, but then we have to be accountable no to fall into that trap and take on more than we can afford! Its horrible propaganda to expect people to believe they can handle 30% of gross as a house payment these days. That standard needs to be revisited and people reducated. I still see that thrown out there SO MUCH in credit education websites and just general converstation and it is so unrealistic in our world today.

Maybe 20-30 years ago it may have applied when we weren't paying cable, internet, cell phone bills and all the extras we pay today. Things were much simpler without so many extras to pay.

Wells Fargo was not telling me this figure off of basic info. They actually took a full app. (this was not from lending tree) Anyway I'm sticking to my guns and within my budget.

Thanks so much for the input.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by MTG_BANKER_OH View Post
        I hate oo be the bearer of bad news but I do not think this is going to get approved. They might be looking at your credit scores and replying back with automated information. I hope it works out for you but I do not know of anywhere you can get those types of rates with a recent BK. When they look further into it I think it will be turned down.

Again I hope I am wrong, but lendingtree.com they just sell your information off to several people and then they will just tell you what you want to hear up front to get the deal.

Please keep us updated.

What is the going rate for someone that filed BK after waiting the 24 month period??

Like me, I plan to put at least 10% down once I reach the 24month period. I still own my home, but we're locating back North due to a job and plan to sell our home here. Which the APR rate is 5.375%, I know I won't get anything like that in the next 24 months

Comment

Well I finally got out there and did some serious househunting! Wow...some great deals out here in Southern California compare to anytime in the recent past. We looked at 9 homes yesterday with the real estate agent and it just so happened the ones we picked to see were all unoccupied and all but one were either bank owned or short sales. All were very nice properties, well maintained and in move in condition. It was a little weird though knowing all these people had to move because they had gotten in serious financial trouble.

These homes were bought for mid 400's 2 years ago and are now listed for the high 200's.

Ok, back to the mortgage. Wells Fargo went ahead and started over on the app. because a couple of weeks had passed and wanted a fresh start so that when final approval is given we will still be within time frames for credit pulls, etc. This is what I found out yesterday:

Credit scores were in 675 range. 675 was my midscore and the one being used because I am the highest wage earner. Hubby's weren't much different though if you look at the middle score.

Once they looked at the hard facts (bank accts, debts, income, reserves, etc etc etc) They are going to be approving fo $350,000, not the 495,000 they had said prior...which FINE!

She is going to go for the FHA and said she just needed to get an override from her account exec, which she has done before with similar situations in which it is close to the 24 month period, there is no negative credit history since the BK, and there is a significant event (divorce, illness, etc) which can be documented as leading to the BK...which I can do.

She said the FHA is important because on a regular loan in CA you can only ask the seller to pay for more than 3% toward closing cost if you are putting more than 10% down (which I am not) or if you are doing an FHA or VA loan. So if she can get the FHA then I can ask the seller to pay up to 6% of closing cost which can be used toward even points or temporary buy down or whatever. The real estate agent said this is important because the sellers, even the banks are doing this a lot in this market right now.

The other thing that she came up with is a grant for the 3% downpayment which will not have to be paid back as long as we occupy the home and does not accrue interest.

She will find out on Monday re: the override. If she can't get the override then she said the rate will be a conforming loan in the mid 6's OR we can wait until Feb, which will make 24 months and go FHA.

So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep you guys updated. We won't be making any offers until we get full approval.

Comment

Another thought for you,............ And this might even be that 3% grant for the down payment thingy the Realtor mentioned.

If you're a first time home buyer,........... Which also includes people who have not owned a home for 3 or more years,............. You qualify for some sort of special assistance.

I can't remember what the assistance was. Maybe a special loan program.

They didn't offer these things back when we bought our first house. But, I keyed on the 3 years part.

Since we have to wait 2 years post BK anyway,............ A few more months to get to the 3 year mark from selling our house won't hurt. Especially if we get some assistance!

Anyway,.............. Something to ask about.
            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
            Discharged - 12/2006
            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Yep...its the DP assistance grant that she was speaking of.....

Comment

Cindy,

I was in California (long beach to be exact) last week. I have an aunt who is going for her broker license in February. She was telling me about how different cities are now offering grants to help people purchase homes. I assume this is what you are talking about. Let me know how that goes. I'm interested. I won't be buying a home in CA, although I would love to as I grew up there and wish I could go back "home." This is mainly out of courisity.

I can't believe how much houses cost. I know someone who purchased their home in Whittier for $82-$85k in 2000. It is now being appraised at $500k. WTF??? It is a nearly 600% to 700% INCREASE in cost. Insane. I'm really not surprised the housing bubble burst. It was too inflated, and got that way too fast.
                Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
                Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
                Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
                11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

Go with the arm and take the savings and apply it to the higher rate 2nd. Takes discipline but you will bet better off in the long run.

Comment

very informative...please keep us posted. I am looking at buying a house in the near future....more like spring or even next winter. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
                      Well I finally got out there and did some serious househunting! Wow...some great deals out here in Southern California compare to anytime in the recent past. We looked at 9 homes yesterday with the real estate agent and it just so happened the ones we picked to see were all unoccupied and all but one were either bank owned or short sales. All were very nice properties, well maintained and in move in condition. It was a little weird though knowing all these people had to move because they had gotten in serious financial trouble.

These homes were bought for mid 400's 2 years ago and are now listed for the high 200's.

Ok, back to the mortgage. Wells Fargo went ahead and started over on the app. because a couple of weeks had passed and wanted a fresh start so that when final approval is given we will still be within time frames for credit pulls, etc. This is what I found out yesterday:

Credit scores were in 675 range. 675 was my midscore and the one being used because I am the highest wage earner. Hubby's weren't much different though if you look at the middle score.

Once they looked at the hard facts (bank accts, debts, income, reserves, etc etc etc) They are going to be approving fo $350,000, not the 495,000 they had said prior...which FINE!

She is going to go for the FHA and said she just needed to get an override from her account exec, which she has done before with similar situations in which it is close to the 24 month period, there is no negative credit history since the BK, and there is a significant event (divorce, illness, etc) which can be documented as leading to the BK...which I can do.

She said the FHA is important because on a regular loan in CA you can only ask the seller to pay for more than 3% toward closing cost if you are putting more than 10% down (which I am not) or if you are doing an FHA or VA loan. So if she can get the FHA then I can ask the seller to pay up to 6% of closing cost which can be used toward even points or temporary buy down or whatever. The real estate agent said this is important because the sellers, even the banks are doing this a lot in this market right now.

The other thing that she came up with is a grant for the 3% downpayment which will not have to be paid back as long as we occupy the home and does not accrue interest.

She will find out on Monday re: the override. If she can't get the override then she said the rate will be a conforming loan in the mid 6's OR we can wait until Feb, which will make 24 months and go FHA.

So, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep you guys updated. We won't be making any offers until we get full approval.
                      I would think you would get a better deal with the conforming loan. I find it hard to believe they will not approve you FHA but they will do conforming. FHA is easier and conforming loans need to go through an underwriting system, if the underwriting system is approving you then you should be ok. If you are looking at bank owned properties then you probably will not be able to go FHA, most banks will turn down FHA offers when they are selling a REO property.

One other thing that seems a little out of place is I would think 3% would be more then enough for closing costs, I do not know much about California but on a home around 300k 9k in CC is alot. I do not know if CA is a mortgage tax state then it could be normal.

Keep us updated.
                      Last edited by MTG_BANKER_OH; 11-27-2007, 12:08 PM.
                      Nick Kusan

Comment

Well I got my approval today!

FHA 30 year fixed 6% Interest Rate - $300,000 (amount requested)
                        3% Downpayment Grant - No payback

They made the less than 2 year exception based on the following:
                        -Low utilization of credit vs. limits on credit cards
                        -No late payments or negative credit since BK
                        -401K Reserves
                        -Choosing to ask for less than prequalified dollar amount (300,000 vs. 350,000)

As far as closing cost, a portion of the property tax does have to be prepaid and will be paid by the seller in this case, as will be the hazard insurance, and all other closing cost. Also included in the closing cost will be the 1.5% fee for the FHA loan. Additionally they told me that I will be able to cash out the last remaining 1% of that 6%. It may not take the whole 6% but the real estate agent can figure it out to the closest possible.....but I'm sure 3% would not be enough especially if the taxes hit at the wrong time (and they are 1.25% per year due in two installments)

So...it looks like I really will be able to get into this house with NOTHING out of my pocket for real! Now I just have to find a house and a cooperative seller...and yes Nick, I agree, I need to find a private seller to accomplish my goals here.

Hope my info will help others contemplating doing the same thing. I will keep you posted.

Oh, and just FYI, if I would have chosen to go with a regular loan it would have started at around the high 6's for 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                          Go with the arm and take the savings and apply it to the higher rate 2nd. Takes discipline but you will bet better off in the long run.
                          ARMs are what are getting people in trouble lately.

I suggest staying FAR FAR FAR away from ARMs.
                          Chapter 13 Filed "Old Law"
                          Filed: 6/2003 Confirmed: 3/2004
                          Early pay off sent: 10/05/2007 - 9 months early
                          11/16/2007 - Discharged!

Comment

congrats Cindy. happy house shopping. Just a quick question:

The 3 percent downpayment grant...The govt is giving that to you for free?

30 year fixed at 6 percent is pretty good. Did they say how much mortage (with everything included like insurance, etc...) is each month?

Who did you go through? Lending tree or was it through wells fargo? How long did it take.

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to understand so that way when my time comes, i would know something rather than nothing.

Thanks again and congrats.

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
                              Well I got my approval today!
                              So glad things worked out for you, Cindy! All your hard rebuilding work is paying off handsomely for you! Enjoy your new nest!
                              I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                              06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                              07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                              10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                              01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                              09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                              06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                              08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                              Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I'm glad you started this thread, Cindy.

I've certainly learned a lot.

Have fun with the House Hunting!!
                                Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                                Discharged - 12/2006
                                Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                                Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X