top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i get an FHA loan if i already own a home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can i get an FHA loan if i already own a home?

Can i get an FHA loan if i already have a home? The home i live in now i plan on renting out and moving into another home. Can i get an FHA loan on my new home and if so with what requirements?

FHA does primary residences only.

Comment

When I bought my house in CO, I used FHA, and their requirement was that you don't have another FHA property, unless it is a certain distance away. Basically, they don't want you to become a landlord.

In my case, I did have another FHA property, but it was in TX and I moved and rented it out because I was laid off.

Comment

Originally posted by NY1 View Post
        Can i get an FHA loan if i already have a home? The home i live in now i plan on renting out and moving into another home. Can i get an FHA loan on my new home and if so with what requirements?

Yes, as long as it's a primary home and you don't currently have an FHA loan. You can get a 2nd FHA loan only if you have a forced job transfer.

BTW , you can use rental income from your old house only if you have 25 percent equity otherwise you'd have to qualify with both payments.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
          Yes, as long as it's a primary home and you don't currently have an FHA loan. You can get a 2nd FHA loan only if you have a forced job transfer.

BTW , you can use rental income from your old house only if you have 25 percent equity otherwise you'd have to qualify with both payments.

Wow ...so if i have a home worth $200,000 and a $190,000 mortgage and my rental income is say $600 above my mortgage payment...i still cant claim the rental income because i dont have 25% equity?

Comment

Wow ...so if i have a home worth $200,000 and a $190,000 mortgage and my rental income is say $600 above my mortgage payment...i still cant claim the rental income because i dont have 25% equity?
            That is correct and it changed in Sept of 2008 .
            Actually you could never claim "600 above your mortgage" but only use rental income to offset the payment.

Comment

So if i cant get an FHA loan is my only option to wait 4 years to get a conventional loan?

Comment

So if i cant get an FHA loan is my only option to wait 4 years to get a conventional loan?
                Conventional would need 30 % equity to use rental income.

I believe FHA is still shortest timeframe on BK 7 or even 13. 7 is 2 years from discharge and 13 you can do it with 12 trustee payments and if your payment is similar to your rent .

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  Conventional would need 30 % equity to use rental income.

I believe FHA is still shortest timeframe on BK 7 or even 13. 7 is 2 years from discharge and 13 you can do it with 12 trustee payments and if your payment is similar to your rent .

To get 20% equity i would have to wait 10+ years...so i cant get an FHA loan...and to get 30% equity i would have to wait like 15 years..in this market..so basically my future is screwed...GRRREAAATTTT

Comment

To get 20% equity i would have to wait 10+ years...so i cant get an FHA loan...and to get 30% equity i would have to wait like 15 years..in this market..so basically my future is screwed...GRRREAAATTTT

Well , this is only if you're departing your residence. If you move out now and start renting yourself , you technically would have a history of landlord, and it would not be a departing residence anymore. You'd need the rental income to show on Schedule E .

I don't intend this advice to coincide with any BK advice , only on how to use the rental income to qualify.

Comment

yeah that what i plan on doing...renting out my home and renting an apartment for 2 years then getting an fha loan....so then it will work?

Comment

Yes, it would under today's rules.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X