Home Equity Loan 4 years post-BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Equity Loan 4 years post-BK

We filed and were discharged in 2009. This forum was a God-send at that time...lots of information and just support/shared experience.
    We've been able to refinance our mortgage at an excellent rate. We've paid all out bills on time. Never use credit cards.
    We would like to take out a home equity loan to make some improvements/repairs to our house with possibly an eye to sell it as the market is very good where we live. We can likely double a profit by making these improvements.
    Our regular bank initially said no problem. Then it was we have to wait 5 years. Then it was we can make an exception. Then it was No.
    Does anyone have some experience or information with this?
    I googled and found a few articles which lead me to believe that this should be ado-able.
    Thanks!
    7/27/09 Filed Chapter 7
    9/3/09 341
    11/3/09 Discharge Date

Did you shop the loan? I mean, did you apply at 3 or more banks/lenders to find out the best rates and whether you qualify? Typically, you only need 2 years from bankruptcy if you did not surrender your home or discharge the mortgage. Some banks are very picky about lending money and may not lend to you solely due to the fact that you filed bankruptcy; and your bank sounds like one of these types of banks.

I would always shop any car or home loan with several banks rather than relying on my "home" bank. I would always allow my home bank to compete, but I would always shop the loan.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I don't know anything about home equity loans, but have you checked your credit reports since discharge, lately? Do you know what your scores are? I think before going for any kind of financing post-BK, it's good to know where you stand.

Comment

I just got a heloc through my credit union. They didn't care about my bk and we went to 90 % ltv.
        I'm 5+ years from discharge.
        Logan

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X