CreditKara vs FICO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CreditKara vs FICO

I use credit karma mainly to monitor activity on my credit report for free just in case of fraudulent activity. Today I received my transunion FICO score and it's actually 31 points higher than my credit karma score--743 vs 712--pretty big spread. My credit karma did drop 20+ points a few months ago when I bought an air conditioner and put it on a 0% offer through the manufacturer. This offer ended up being a credit card which was also maxed out after the purchase and karma didn't like the utilization even though my over all utilization is under 7%. It's possible FICO is looking at the overall utilization rather than the 1 card.

I aslo wonder if credit karma purposely has a lower score than FICO to try to get people to continue to improve their scores using the credit karma advertisers? Not a bad idea since all they would be doing is using a different logarithm than FICO to determine your score.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out tho hose using credit karma that the scores can be quite a bit different than the FICO score.

Logan

Yep, creditkarma gives your Vantage Score as calculated by Transunion and Equifax. Vantage Score was created by the credit bureaus to try to compete with FICO. You are the first person I am aware of to say that their FICO score was higher than their CreditKarma score.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Lady, my Transunion FICO score has been higher every time I've had the opportunity to check but until now they've always been within 10 points.

Comment

Is FICO from myfico? Need to pull ours

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
          Is FICO from myfico? Need to pull ours

I got my from a bank since I applied for a HELOC. I don't see the need to ever pay for your FICO score since there are free scores out there that give you a ballpark number.

Comment

Credit Karma is a FAKO. It is an OK source to monitor, but the actual score is pretty useless.

Comment

My score with Experian was 50 points higher than CreditKarma. I just use it for monitoring knowing it's a useless score.

Comment

I just checked my fico score. One month after Chap 13 discharge it is 590. It was somewhere between 650 and 675 when I filed. CreditKarma shows my Equifax score as 742 and my Transunion score as 711.

Huge difference! But, I'm not surprised.
                LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X