Discharge approaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge approaching

My discharge date is the coming 31st. What should I be doing to hit the ground running so to speak? In regards to getting credit report accurate and to start building my credit.

You'll need to wait until at least 2-4 weeks after the discharge for it to hit the credit bureaus and maybe to hit some of the creditors (that subscribe to the electronic bankruptcy notices).

After 30 days, I would order a tri-bureau credit report and take a peak. Look for accounts that were included but are not with a "minimum" status of Included In Bankruptcy (IIB) or discharged in a Chapter 7. Also look to see that they are reporting as $0 with no history (unless that history was prior to you filing).

Some lessons learned? You'll make mistakes. Don't dispute everything for the spite of disputing it! I disputed an account that was IIB, but it was one of my oldest accounts. That dropped my credit profile from 30 years to... 12 years (oldest positive reporting account). Longevity is important. You'll have to decide if you really want to mess with "old" accounts despite their IIB status.

The key to a good credit profile has always been on-time payments, low utilization, seldom seeking credit, and longevity. Don't worry, you'll receive all type of credit offers starting about 2-4 weeks after your case is discharged. Even if you are tempted by the "subprime" creditors, don't carry "too" much of a balance because you'll drown in the ridiculous interest rates.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X