When do I start to clean up credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do I start to clean up credit?

Hello all, discharged on February 6th. Case is now closed. I opened a opensky visa secured card because of no inquiry to start my rebuild. When should I actually get my credit reports and start disputing the errors? Is there a set time to "let the dust settle?" Also I have noticed that judgements on equifax say "satisfied" but they dont say the same on the other reports. This is also from credit karma which I know is not terribly accurate. Thank you!!!

I'd wait at least 30 days from discharge date, then request hard copies of your credit report from annualcreditreport.com. If there are still items that are inaccurate, I'd dispute via certified mail w/return receipt, and mail them a copy of the discharge letter. Of course, you can also request updates with the creditor directly. The reason you want to do it by mail, though, is because if you even face a roadblock with the credit reporting agency and decide to sue, you will want proof.

Hopefully that won't happen though.

Comment

FWIW
      One piece of advice I followed was to join a credit union. Most have free financial advisers associated with the "bank". Use them and request a credit score as they will give you your real score not a Credit Karma score. If you are discharged and do any sort of banking with them you can most likely get a secured card/car loan etc etc.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X