Cleaning Up Your Credit Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tinroofrusted
    Any creditor that pulls your credit AFTER they have been notified of your discharge is breaking the law!

They can be fined and held liable in court!

Are they allowed to pull your credit report after you file? Because I'm reviewing my credit report and a collection agency pulled my credit report one month after I filed Chapter 7....

Comment

Just thought you would want to know

I'm cleaning up my credit,and things are tough but you need to stay on top of it. My credit report had judgments from this previous apartment complex. Matter of fact there were 3 of them. The state court is whom the CB's were verifying the information from. The judgments were paid each time but the apt complex didn't report back to the court that the warrant was satisfied. I called the courts again and they stated that I needed to get a satisfaction of judgment letter from thier attorney. I called the apartment back and they had been sold to another company last year and no one was able to provide me with the attorney because the office manager didn't know where to begin. I call the courts back and they are allowed to only give out so much information. However, you can ask for a report and/or the attorney whom represented the apt complex. Yes, I was able to get that information (name only) and I search the white pages and on-line. Guess what, the attorney did exist. I gave them the docket numbers and they are typing me up a letter as we speak to take to the court and have them to update there records. Of course Minny, Staci, Bkfiler, I will be sending a copy to the CB's once letter is recieved. I'm not waiting for state courts to update anything for me. Long story short, presistent pays off. It will be a little rough, but hang in there. We all prevail at the end. SORRY, SO LONG WINDED.
      Living One Day At A Time

Comment

Should they have known by then? If you only listed the original creditor, not the collection agency, the CA might not have gotten word yet about your BK. If you listed the CA also, they would have known AT MOST 2-3 weeks after you filed.

Originally posted by BrokeStudent8
        Are they allowed to pull your credit report after you file? Because I'm reviewing my credit report and a collection agency pulled my credit report one month after I filed Chapter 7....
        Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

Originally posted by StaciMM
          Should they have known by then? If you only listed the original creditor, not the collection agency, the CA might not have gotten word yet about your BK. If you listed the CA also, they would have known AT MOST 2-3 weeks after you filed.
          I think they should have known... there were listed in the creditor matrix... Should I dispute the inquiry with the credit agency?

Also, I was wondering how I should dispute my accounts that were discharged in my bankruptcy. Should I request that it say "IIB" or "discharged in bankruptcy?"

Comment

Originally posted by BrokeStudent8

No they are not. They are breaking the law.
            BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

I filed Ch 13 on August 30, 2005, and just got my plan confirmed a few weeks ago. I have been working at cleaning up my credit report with Experian and TU, but it has been such a hassle! For 2 of my CC companies, they are reporting a 90+ day late in the month they wrote off my balance. And with Amex, they don't even have the right month and year, they are listing the BK in Oct 2002! So it is making it seem as if I have all these late payments when I really had NONE. I was never late on any of my CC's or car payments up until the time I filed. I had to dispute the same issue with my car lease company because they have a 30, 60, and 90 day late in the last 3 months that I had the car before surrendering it as part of the BK. Finally they updated it, but I am still seeing a 90+ day late showing in the month that they report the "voluntary surrender" even though they assured me, in an email, that they would update their info to report no late payments, just the voluntary repossession. The 30 and 60 day late came off, but not the 90. It makes no sense! When I saw my report initially after the BK, none of these accounts were so screwed up, they just said BK and that was it, and they never listed any late payments that are now showing up.

And then with TU, they sent me a letter after I disputed online that they want me to send a copy of my BK papers with all the included creditors so they can update their records. Should I just send them everything I have?

This is so frustrating, but I want to get it right. It's not fair to have them reporting all this inaccurate information. Also, how do I get them to report the years of positive payment history, some of the cards took my history off altogether! Can they do this? I am just glad that Citibank and Discover actually got it right and are reporting correctly, shame on Amex and MBNA!

Comment

Accounts Reported As Charge Offs??

I was wondering, a couple of my credit cards are being reported as charge offs in the month they recognized my bankruptcy, can they do this? I want to get my credit report cleaned up as much as possible but am having some trouble. They got rid of the late payments, but the charge off icon is still showing in that last month for Amex and MBNA. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jamie

Comment

Are you referring to Experian? From what I can tell, the notation they use to indicated "IIB" in the monthly activity area is the same as what they use to indicate a CO.

OTherwise, though, if the creditor is reporting a CO (not just something in how the bureau translates the info) it would depend. If they charged it off and then you filed BK, its correct. If you filed BK first, it is wrong.
                  Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

yep, if you file before they charge off then they cant show it as a charge off. prob is how do you get the charge off date from them without them lying imo.
                    Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
                    [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
                    [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
                    [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Hi first time poster here so go easy on me,

I had good credit but I got sued and received a judgement against me for over $200k, so right before the deadline I file Bankruptcy and on January 31, 2006 got discharged and now the case is also closed.

Now I'm trying to rebuild my credit I bought my Experian credit report via credit expert and see that only Cap One has posted my Bankruptcy and no one else. How much time do they need before they post it in the credit report? If the discharge was on Jan 31, 2006 I figure they received the letters by Feb 7, 2006 is it too early for them to post?

Any way, I disputed my Credit Union account with Experian and in two days the result came out and they are saying that it will remain as is, charged off, with balance and no mention of Bankruptcy? Even though in the public records section of my Bankruptcy it says that my Bankruptcy has been discharged. Please advise??

Comment

Creditors are not known for accurate reporting, HighNDry. You'll need to get copies of your reports from all 3 bureaus, and then send in written notice of the problem accounts. It may take more than 1 try, depending on how many accounts/creditors you have.

Comment

first of all i would like to thank this site for all the information i have recieved and learned. i filed chapter 7 in oct 05 was financed for a new truck before discharge. checked with trustee he said it was fine, was discharged on 1/06 and thanks to this site i now have learned how it is done. i pulled all 3 cr and was shocked, had i not known about this site i would have went beserk. i started adding up all my disputes and mine alone were 47 and the wifes were close to 80. today i was informed that equifax has agreed to remove almost everything. now i am going after the other cra and look forward to the outcome. i was working with a housing lender until she told me it would cost 700.00 to remove the bad off of my cr. i did it for a fraction of the cost. my goal is to have a house with in the next 6 months and thanks to everyone here i now know the steps to take. now off to the eye doctor i go as there is a price to pay as you learn. i am now crossed eyed., if anyone needs a great collection of dispute letters that i have made for all of my derogs just let me know and i will send them, thanks again

Comment

I have a question about disputing my credit report. After three years, we are still trying to get things discharged in the bankruptcy cleared off our credit. I recently noticed a new item on my credit report, but it is for a debt that was included in the bankruptcy, only it has been sent to another collection agency. What can I do about that?

Comment

Originally posted by bellagad
                              first of all i would like to thank this site for all the information i have recieved and learned. i filed chapter 7 in oct 05 was financed for a new truck before discharge. checked with trustee he said it was fine, was discharged on 1/06 and thanks to this site i now have learned how it is done. i pulled all 3 cr and was shocked, had i not known about this site i would have went beserk. i started adding up all my disputes and mine alone were 47 and the wifes were close to 80. today i was informed that equifax has agreed to remove almost everything. now i am going after the other cra and look forward to the outcome. i was working with a housing lender until she told me it would cost 700.00 to remove the bad off of my cr. i did it for a fraction of the cost. my goal is to have a house with in the next 6 months and thanks to everyone here i now know the steps to take. now off to the eye doctor i go as there is a price to pay as you learn. i am now crossed eyed., if anyone needs a great collection of dispute letters that i have made for all of my derogs just let me know and i will send them, thanks again
                              I would LOVE copies of the dispute letters...could you email them to me??
                              Date Filed: 12/19/2004
                              341 Meeting: 2/8/2005
                              Date Case Confirmed: 7/12/2005
                              Closed on Refinance/Chapter 13 Buyout 8/23/06

Comment

Originally posted by nk29
                                I filed Ch 13 on August 30, 2005, and just got my plan confirmed a few weeks ago. I have been working at cleaning up my credit report with Experian and TU, but it has been such a hassle! For 2 of my CC companies, they are reporting a 90+ day late in the month they wrote off my balance. And with Amex, they don't even have the right month and year, they are listing the BK in Oct 2002! So it is making it seem as if I have all these late payments when I really had NONE. I was never late on any of my CC's or car payments up until the time I filed. I had to dispute the same issue with my car lease company because they have a 30, 60, and 90 day late in the last 3 months that I had the car before surrendering it as part of the BK. Finally they updated it, but I am still seeing a 90+ day late showing in the month that they report the "voluntary surrender" even though they assured me, in an email, that they would update their info to report no late payments, just the voluntary repossession. The 30 and 60 day late came off, but not the 90. It makes no sense! When I saw my report initially after the BK, none of these accounts were so screwed up, they just said BK and that was it, and they never listed any late payments that are now showing up.

And then with TU, they sent me a letter after I disputed online that they want me to send a copy of my BK papers with all the included creditors so they can update their records. Should I just send them everything I have?

This is so frustrating, but I want to get it right. It's not fair to have them reporting all this inaccurate information. Also, how do I get them to report the years of positive payment history, some of the cards took my history off altogether! Can they do this? I am just glad that Citibank and Discover actually got it right and are reporting correctly, shame on Amex and MBNA!
                                My suggestion?

DO NOT SEND THEM ANYTHING!

It is their responsibility and REQUIREMENT under the law to do the work and research what you tell them. If they don't do this, you are entitled to sue. You don't have to send them anything, or fax them anything, except to verify who you are.....

Keep disputing. It is a long process, but it is SOOOOOOO worth it!
                                BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X