Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

That is pretty bad. My dad who has a lot of credit cards and great history has been getting letters from creditors saying they're reducing his limit, raising his interest rate, etc.
    Filed: August, 2003
    Discharged: Thanksgiving Eve, 2003

Total Consumer Debt Granted Since BK: $6,100
    Total Consumer Debt Left to Pay Off: $1,300 (Plus $50K+ in Student Loans ... )

Comment

Originally posted by financeguy View Post
      On my BK I kept one credit card off the BK list: my Discover card. The credit limit was only $500 and I was never late. Always paid off every month. I was surprised that it wasn't close after I filed for BK. They didn't. So now, I am using that one to rebuild my credit.
      What is the best way to watch how your credit gets rebuilt ?
      Wow you got pretty luck that Discover didnt close your account...usually even if you don't owe anything as soon as you file BK all of the creditors on your credit report will get a letter to let them know of your bk and even if you don't owe them anything they will close your account...
      Discharged 6/23/08

Comment

I held onto my capital one hoping for the same thing, but they closed it even with zero balance and perfect history.
        Filed 10/20/08
        Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

I included Capital One in my BK (albeit with a 0 balance) and they closed the account when I filed. My BK closed in October and I just applied with Capital One again and got a card with a $1000 credit line.
          Chapter 7 filed - 6/12/09
          341 Meeting - 7/21/09
          Case Closed - 10/13/09

Comment

You people tell all this stuff about all these great ways to rebuild credit with being approved for cards. You people must have had great credit prior to BK because absolutely none of them companies will approve me. Either yall are lucky or just full of crap.

Comment

I'm only full of crap right before I use the restroom.
              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Nice one Amy! LOL

Realm, my credit score pre-BK was probably around 720-ish. 1 week after discharge it was around 630-ish. That is what the dealership told me when I went to buy a car. When he pulled my credit he about fell out of his chair. I guess he was expecting something disastrous. I had to put $1000 down but I wasn't complaining.
                Chapter 7 filed - 6/12/09
                341 Meeting - 7/21/09
                Case Closed - 10/13/09

Comment

Originally posted by realm187 View Post
                  You people tell all this stuff about all these great ways to rebuild credit with being approved for cards. You people must have had great credit prior to BK because absolutely none of them companies will approve me. Either yall are lucky or just full of crap.
                  How many cards have you applied for and how often? It looks really bad to apply for a lot of cards at once. Once, when I still had great credit I applied for 3 credit cards in one month, was approved for all 3, and my credit score dropped 70 points and never fully recovered! If you apply for cards and are rejected, wait several months before applying again.

Use your debit card in the meantime. It's one of the greatest inventions of the last 30 years.
                  Filed BK 7 Pro Se: August 2010 341 Meeting: September 2010
                  November 2010
                  Closed: January 2011!!!

Comment

I applied for a Hooters Master Card four days ago and just received it in the mail. Scores in low 600's.
                    6/12/09: Filed Chapter 7
                    7/21/09: 341 Hearing (went very well)
                    9/28/09: Discharged
                    10/2/09: Case closed!

Comment

YAy!

I got my card in the mail for HSBC $ 320...worth a start!
                      I applied for Cap 1 and was denied, however, I was approved for the Secured card....

Comment

Capital One sent me a letter with the info on the Rewards MC with all the APR and annual fee info. The letters says a credit decision will be forwarded shortly. So does that mean I'm getting it??
                        Filed: 11/9/09 341 Meeting:12/21/09 No assets! Discharged: 5/24/10
                        10/2010:EQUIFAX: 589, TRANSUNION: 644, EXPERIAN: 591

Comment

predischarge

I am not set to discharge for another 3 weeks. I applied for HSBC Orchard Bank Visa about 2 weeks ago and got approved for $320.00! I'm surprised. I had to pay $19.00 processing fee up front for the card. I still have not received it yet. I was also approved for the BestBuy Rewards MasterCard thanks to this thread. It was only for $100.00 with no annual fee. I plan to apply for a Capital One card about 5 or 6 months post discharge and after I get my credit reports in order. I'm just grateful I got approved for something!
                          Filed Ch.13 August 2008,
                          Converted to Ch.7 03/31/10, 341 Meeting 05/05/2010, Discharged 07/16/2010

Comment

It is not a good idea to apply for credit cards during your bankruptcy. Better to wait until you are discharged.
                            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
                            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                              It is not a good idea to apply for credit cards during your bankruptcy. Better to wait until you are discharged.
                              Well, it's already done........I won't apply for any more but my attorney told me when I converted that I could go ahead and try to buy a car before discharge. I didn't but he said I could.
                              Filed Ch.13 August 2008,
                              Converted to Ch.7 03/31/10, 341 Meeting 05/05/2010, Discharged 07/16/2010

Comment

Me and my husband both just got approved through capitalone for mastercards. $300 limit to start, but there is NO fees each month or once a yr. Also we are at 0% apr until June 2011.
                                Our chapter 7 was only discharged this past week.
                                Hope that helps.
                                Do not go through first premier, aspire visa or any of those who give you a $200 limit to start. Immediately $150 of that $200 is charged for their high fees. I would wait until you can get approved through a major card holder like we did.
                                Chapter 7 filed 2/26/2010
                                341 meeting 4/18/2010
                                Discharged 6/14/2010-On our way back up the ladder from a rough patch.
                                FICO score goal by June 2011:720+

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X