Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AshShep01 View Post
    The road to rebuilding my credit hasn't been easy since my discharge in July 2009 Chapter 7. I had been reading these threads trying to figure out what credit card companies were BK Friendly LOL.... I quickly discovered that everybody's situation is different. I applied for Capital One, Best Buy Store Card, First Pemier Bank, Apple Visa Card... Nothing..I don't want or need any of these cards but I would like to start rebuilding my credit you know the whole fresh start thing. Every one of those companies came back with secured cc offers.

Applied for Credit One Bank.... 1-2-3 Approved for a visa with a $200.00 limit. Not much... But I don't plan on using it The annual fee is $59.00 they bill it on the first billing cycle. Give it a try... If you are trying to rebuild your credit.
    Give me a break, you were discharged ONLY A MONTH AGO. WTF did you really expect. When it comes to credit cards, you typically need to wait about 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
      Give me a break, you were discharged ONLY A MONTH AGO. WTF did you really expect. When it comes to credit cards, you typically need to wait about 6 months.
      W~O~W!!! Have to say.........I'm surprised by such a response. Especially from a moderator! The poster wasn't even asking for a response. S/He was simply sharing their experience.
      filed chapter 7 BK 4/27/09
      341 meeting 6/4/09
      DISCHARGED!!! 8/5/09

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
        I gotta say I am pretty shocked by your response. I didn't mean July 2009, I was dicharged in June 2009, not that it makes a big difference. But everybody's situation is different, I was testing the waters. Like I said I don't need a credit card. I wanted one to start rebuilding my credit.

I hear stories on this board, about how people apply for credit during there BK and get approved. Or better yet just a day after the actual discharge. So why be so pass judgement on me??? Have a great day!

Comment

Time is the best healer after a BK, so it is better for you to wait before you rack up too many inquiries.

And keep in mind.......the CC regulations are going to change and it may be harder to obtain new credit after a BK.

In any case, you got one approval, so start with that.

Originally posted by AshShep01 View Post
          The road to rebuilding my credit hasn't been easy since my discharge in July 2009 Chapter 7. I had been reading these threads trying to figure out what credit card companies were BK Friendly LOL.... I quickly discovered that everybody's situation is different. I applied for Capital One, Best Buy Store Card, First Pemier Bank, Apple Visa Card... Nothing..I don't want or need any of these cards but I would like to start rebuilding my credit you know the whole fresh start thing. Every one of those companies came back with secured cc offers.

Applied for Credit One Bank.... 1-2-3 Approved for a visa with a $200.00 limit. Not much... But I don't plan on using it The annual fee is $59.00 they bill it on the first billing cycle. Give it a try... If you are trying to rebuild your credit.
          Bankruptcy History:
          Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
          Discharged - 02/16/2006
          Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by downsized View Post
            W~O~W!!! Have to say.........I'm surprised by such a response. Especially from a moderator! The poster wasn't even asking for a response. S/He was simply sharing their experience.

I was shocked myself and didn't even notice it was a moderator.
            That was UNNECESSARY and harsh!

Comment

I have to say we got several credit cards within 30 days of discharge...2 Orchard Banks, 2 Targets, 2 Best Buys, 2 Hooters and 2 Capital Ones.

BUT, I think that was before the "credit crisis" hit and banks were still freely lending....now, not so much.

Lately, it seems like it takes time to rebuild. I wish you the best of luck and keep pluggin' away.
              Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
              341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
              Last day for objections: 7-14-08
              Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
                I was shocked myself and didn't even notice it was a moderator.
                That was UNNECESSARY and harsh!
                I disagree. Best we ALL realize that credit isn't an entitlement, but a privilege. And almost ALL of us here have abused that privilege, at least in the eyes of lenders! Because, to them -- and you can understand their point of view if you think about it -- that's what bankruptcy is: creditor abuse!
                In no way am I suggesting that all of us who've decided that bankruptcy was a wise business decision for ourselves are fiscal deadbeats. I know I'm not -- I've always paid what I could to whom I could (my unsecured got 80% in a recently discharged Chapter 13, and GMAC -- one of those crammed-down creditors -- just approved a 7.94% to me for a car!). But, I also realize that I've cost my creditors money they were legally entitled to expect. I'm thankful when they give me another chance, and understanding when they don't.
                I fear those who don't realize their status with creditors are headed down the same, damned road again.

Comment

deleted duplicate post

Comment

Wow, HHM seems really angry... I think he needs to explore that and not transfer that anger on to others. I applied 25 days out of my BK and got approved for a Capital One and First Premiere. The advise to wait is the best. Try again for a Cap One because they have no annual fees. Capital One is also really BK friendly so just wait another 90 days and reapply. I had my card since February and they just raised my credit limit to 1500, woo hoo!

Comment

OK, I need to get a credit card for business travel. I really don't want one. I pulled my credit report and checked my FICO. I have a 633. Is the best place to apply to is Capitol One? I really don't want a credit card but right after bankruptcy I went on a business trip and they put a hold on $250.00 of my money because I used my debit card.

I filed CH 7 Nov08 and was discharged in April09. Kept two cars and home. Any thoughts?

Comment

OK, curiosity killed my kids cat. I applied at CAP 1. Here is what the approval said ( copied from the screen) Well, that enough to pay for my conference and hotel.

Credit Limit:$500.00
                        Purchase APR: 0% until March 2010. After March 2010, A variable rate, currently equal to 19.8% Transfer APR: A variable rate, currently equal to 19.8%

No, I did not BK Cap 1. I have never liked them. So.. maybe I can benefit from them.

Comment

Did it mention anything about "Credit Steps"?

It's a common thing on the lower-end Capital One cards. Sort of guaranteed line increases if you behave.

After 3 months of on time payments, under limit, etc. you would usually go to $1000. After a total of 6 months you could get another increase to be at $1500.

The "Credit Steps" cards don't frequently grow much beyond the last step, but $1500 should be a good amount for infrequent business travel. But low enough that you can't get into too much trouble.

Comment

I didn't see anything. I will take a look at the paper work when it arrives. I received an offer from first premier and the really sock the fees in. By the time I would get a card and all their little fees I would have $74.00 left on the card.. What a joke..

Comment

hmmmm, HHM is usually more polite. i would say he must have just had a bad day and took it out, unfairly, on a forum member. it's not like him, but we are all human. i hope he is ok by now.
                              filed ch7 May 09
                              341 june 09
                              discharged, closed Aug 09

Comment

Well my discharge is not set until Sept 23 2009 and just got approved for the orchard bank gold card. I know that you are not supposed to apply for credit while in bankruptcy, but my finger slipped over the mouse....oh well....even though I have a low limit of $300.00, I plan on making small purchases such as gas and lunch here in there. The interest rate is not at nosebleed rates and their approval criteria is somewhat lax compared to other credit card issuers. I want to get my credit score to atlease 620 in the next few months. My credit score currently stands as 600 Exp, 606 Equi and 587 Trans.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X