Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Merrick bank is hooters card

Comment

I am six months out of discharge (Dec. '11) and have gotten credit solicitations from Cap One almost since the first month... the latest one offered a CL of $3K with 0% until Feb. '13, then "22.9% variable" after that. (And since I haven't applied I understand it's not automatic to be accepted.)

Apologies that I have not read thru this entire sticky, but is it absolutely unheard of to get a FIXED interest rate after BK?? I understand that it shouldn't matter if you pay off the card each month...but it does irk me.

I have only my debit card on my checking account and I get paid only once a month...a credit card would be nice for that last week when I'm low on funds and there's a surprise -- like the $500 or so of car repair I'm going to need -- or the doc/medical co-pays -- but just wondering if I'm waiting for a CC offer thatn will never come??

Thanks.

Comment

Hello every one I am new here, but I sought out a BK forum just so I could share the exciting news I just got. My husband and I just went to our 341 meeting last week, and we officially filled (per my CR) on April 3-our attorney was very slow moving. Any who I pulled my CR just about 30 mins. ago to see what it looked like and my score is a 547 and all I have are $50,000 in student loans in good standing. So I thought that I would try my luck at applying for a CC since I had heard on another BK forum last year that you could start fresh with Cap One even if you had them before and they were part of your BK. Although I never had a CC with Cap One and no more than a bank account with them when I worked in the back office for them once years ago I thought I would apply anyway just to see where I was at. So I compared 3 of their cards and chatted with the online rep and he said that I could only likely get the "secured" CC with them. I went ahead and took the risk and applied for the Platinum Mastercard CC that has a 24.99 APR $0 intro annual fee for the first year and $19 annual fee per month after that.
        I was sitting waiting for the 60 second approval and was so shocked when (what seemed like-5 minutes to forever) it came back in big green print that I was approved and with a $300 starting limit!!! So I hope that this helps to encourage someone who is trying to reestablish themselves in the CC world. I will cherish this card forever...lol. I may apply for a VISA from somewhere else by the end of the year, but that is my limit and I have no plans of ever getting a department store credit card except may be Wal mart. These will be my only 2 if I don't get a limit increase on this first one towards the end of the year other than that I am so satisfied for this second chance especially since the first time around most of my dead pre BK was medical bills for lack of insurance.

Comment

You're not even discharged yet. Did someone tell you it was a good idea to apply for credit before discharge?

Comment

No I have heard others say that it was told to them by their attorney to apply for something. But I saw my credit score and decided to give it a try. My BK did not involve any CC debit mostly med bills so I took it upon myself to go for it and it worked out. I was just sharing my experience and in no way am I advising anyone do what I have done. It is just to say that BK is not the end of the road and it is not set in stone that you can not obtain "real credit" post BK or post discharge either. PS my attorney emailed me that the Trustee closed everything and stated no liability in my case so the discharge is just a paper I am waiting on. I have no plans for any major purchases in the near future either ie, car etc. not interested in any of that anytime soon. Thanks.

Comment

Well guys I have been hunting for a credit card and I have found that I should look for a secured credit card first. So after hunting for a while I have found one that the APR is at 17.99%, Annual Fee of $19.00 and the report to all 3 credit reporting agencies. I have been a bit nervous about it but just submitted the application and now waiting for approval. its from First Bankcard (a division of First National Bank of Omaha) . Now waiting for a response. Chap. 13 date Filed12/06, date discharged 1/13 .

Comment

Wells Fargo has a secured card with an annual fee of $25.
                First I got a limit increase to $700 (i.e. 200 unsecured on top of 500 deposit).
                Then shortly after the 1 year mark ,they converted to unsecured.
                Then recently I got another increase to 1100.
                You have to have a WF bank account and then from the online screens you can submit an app and they will take the deposit money straight from the bank account.
                filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Update: got Barclaycard US airways card about month or two after discharge, basically matched my highest open account limits with Wells Fargo.
                  A few months and a few $k of spending later, apply for $1000 boost from Barclay and I'm approved.

Comment

Another update: cap one $300 limit card with $59 annual fee, got a limit increase to $500. (I am only discharged less than 6 months ago). So I then apply for Cap One Quiksilver, and they match the higher limit on my Barclayscard and round it up to $3000. Cap One showing me some love!

Comment

Other cards approved for : Cabelas ($500)
                      Declined: Bass Pro (turns out it's FIA card services), all Chase deals, all Citi deals, 0% financing for a mattress shot down by GE MB.
                      Approved for $300 by Macys but wanted like a $6k-8k bed so thanks but it doesn't help.

Comment

I am thinking of adding another secured card
                        Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
                          I am thinking of adding another secured card
                          Wells Fargo is good but you'll have to open a checking account first. I don't think you need to keep it open.
                          Spend as much as you can and make frequent payments and you can get limit increases and eventually unsecured.
                          Also Kohls card is pretty easy to get too (unsecured)

Comment

Based on recommendations in this thread, I applied for the Barclays Reward Mastercard.

They pulled TU. I won't pay for my FICO, but Credit Karma's TU FAKO says 703. I'm about 6 month post-BK.

Approved for $1,500.
                            Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by TXskyblue View Post
                              Based on recommendations in this thread, I applied for the Barclays Reward Mastercard.

They pulled TU. I won't pay for my FICO, but Credit Karma's TU FAKO says 703. I'm about 6 month post-BK.

Approved for $1,500.
                              Barclays now provides a monthly TU Fico score.

Comment

Hi,

We just applied for an received our first, and only CC post Ch. 7. Discharged October 2012, capital one $3000 limit. 0% until sometime this fall. Going to use for reimbursable business expenses/conferences.

I was surprised!

Lynn

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X