top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get the public record removed at 10 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I get the public record removed at 10 years?

New thread. I have been looking for this answer here, but the threads are all old.

Filed Ch 7 Dec 6 1999, D/C March 2000

When I started at this forum, I got real hyped on disputes. I really did find some bad info out there and the CRA's removed them right away. Included in those dispute letters was a complaint about the info on Public Record. I thought since I'd hit the 10 year mark in a few months, they might just take it off but they didn't.

on 2 of the reports, the date of filing was 12/1/1999, so I told them they had the wrong date. On the other report, the case number had an extra "0" in it, but had the date as 12/1999. So, the 1 corrected the account number and left it as 12/1999, while the other 2 changed the dates to 12/1999.

Almost makes me think that they somehow have each other's information. I could re-dispute it because 12/1999 is not really a date, etc. But now, I'm 3 months away from the 10 year mark anyway.

All that for the main question...Does the Public record go away on its own after 10 years? If not, can I go and tell them to remove it after the file date passes?

Or, does the Public Record just stay there indefinately? I have read somewhere that this is the case. What about PACER? Not really sure what that is, but my interpretation is that the CRA's get their BK info from PACER. Can I contact them if their info is wrong? Or, should I keep disputing the info until they go down to the court and verify everything? One of the agencies has the liabilities included as $0. Yeah, I filed BK because I had $0 in liabilities.

Any help would be appreciated, really!

From Experian's Website:

A credit reporting agency stores information from credit grantors and public records, including bankruptcies, judgments and liens. Potentially negative information, such as missed payments and most public record items, remain on a personal credit report for seven years. The exceptions are Chapters 7, 11 and 12 bankruptcies, which remain for 10 years, and unpaid tax liens, which remain for 15 years. A paid tax lien will remain for seven years. Positive information may remain on a report indefinitely. Paid closed accounts generally display for 10 years. Requests for your credit history remain on your personal credit report for two years.

The question is, what type of record is it, and is it satisfied?
    Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
    Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
    If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Our 7 year mark after filing Chapter 13 hit this past April. I waited until the end of May to obtain copies of all credit reports to allow time for any updates to take place. When we pulled the reports, the Public Record Info was gone and there was nothing in any account as to BK and all BK accounts involved in the filing were gone. The only thing we had to remove was our own personal statement as to why we filed.

Your Chapter 7 should automatically come off after 10 years. Wait several weeks beyond that 10 year mark to allow changes to take place then obtain all your credit reports. Then dispute if needed.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

I was on Pacer the other day and found it still shows BK cases way past the 7 yr mark. Can you get things on Pacer removed too? Or does it remain on there forever? Isn't Pacer public record too and shouldn't after the 10 yr mark things fall off there too? Or do you have to go thru certain steps to also have it removed from there?
        Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

Originally posted by justplaintired View Post
          I was on Pacer the other day and found it still shows BK cases way past the 7 yr mark. Can you get things on Pacer removed too? Or does it remain on there forever? Isn't Pacer public record too and shouldn't after the 10 yr mark things fall off there too? Or do you have to go thru certain steps to also have it removed from there?
          I don't believe that you can get things removed from the public record. The "credit reporting agency" requirements are imposed because of their impact on credit scoring.

The records used by the federal courts are maintained in the federal archives (and/or PACER). I haven't really heard of anyone sucessfully getting those expunged, and I don't think it's going to happen. (See In Re: Matt, Case No. 05-01133, District of Columbia, 2008).

but only in extraordinary circumstances(unless the filing was a fraudulent filing, one not authorized by the debtor). The debtor knowingly commenced this case, and, unfortunately, despite the court's sympathy for her plight, must suffer the consequence of a poor credit record arising from the filing.

In Re: Matt, Case No. 05-01133, District of Columbia, 2008
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X