Target Red Card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Red Card?

I filed chapter 7 in february 2010, discharged in Aug 2010 and I want to try and get a target red card because I am there A LOT and want to get the savings. Has anyone tried for this card so soon after BK? I'm a little anxious to try for credit at all but feel I could save on food and cloths with this card. Thoughts?

I didn't get my card post-BK, but I can easily say that it's a pretty conservative card. I've had mine for a couple years (not for much longer, though). They seem to be a lot like Amex. At one point they lowered my credit limit due to non-use. Even with a good FICO, their interest rates are high, so plan to pay it off every month. They don't really have all the perks of other cards, but the 5% cash back is a nice offering for Targeholics. After carrying it for a couple of years and dealing with their customer service team, I don't get the impression they're setting themselves up to win the post-bk-friendly-choice-award. If you're able to get one post-bk, keep us posted... good info to know!
    OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

I would go with their check card, if you're looking for the discount.

It's possible you may get approved for the credit card, but in general Target Bank is kind of flaky and particular about who they will approve. I wouldn't expect a recent BK discharge to go over so well.

Comment

I am actually going to try and get the red card (debit version) today. Like you we shop there a lot and can certainly use the extra 5%.
        Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10
        AHEM.....NOT AN ATTORNEY, NOT ADVICE, ETC, ETC

Comment

Originally posted by ccsjoe View Post
          I am actually going to try and get the red card (debit version) today. Like you we shop there a lot and can certainly use the extra 5%.
          joe...do you mean by the debit version...you "add" money to the card and then use it??

we miss our "red" card even more nowadays, as where we moved we have 2 supper targets within 8 miles.

i do also know they are conservative...as we had zero balance and didn't even list them on our bk and then just closed our line with them. but what joe's doing sounds interesting...and joe, why the red debit card as opposed to just your regular debit card??
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
            joe...do you mean by the debit version...you "add" money to the card and then use it??

we miss our "red" card even more nowadays, as where we moved we have 2 supper targets within 8 miles.

i do also know they are conservative...as we had zero balance and didn't even list them on our bk and then just closed our line with them. but what joe's doing sounds interesting...and joe, why the red debit card as opposed to just your regular debit card??
            Links to my checking account, so in effect a debit card, not a prepaid. And why, just instead of my check card? 5% off additional is why. We actually like how Target has expanded their grocery section and their prices are competitive along the lines of Winco and Costco on a good range of items, so we have almost substituted grocery shopping from a Safeway to Target. Of course we still shop at Whole Foods for veggies, etc, and Costco for the bulk items we need. All of a sudden insted of spending 700/month at safeway we're doing it at Target...5% comes in handy.
            Stopped paying: 08/10, Filed CH7: 08/27/10 , 341 & No Asset Report: 10/6/10, Last day to object: 12/06/10, Discharged: 12/07/10, Closed: 12/08/10

Comment

Links to my checking account, so in effect a debit card, not a prepaid. And why, just instead of my check card? 5% off additional is why. We actually like how Target has expanded their grocery section and their prices are competitive along the lines of Winco and Costco on a good range of items, so we have almost substituted grocery shopping from a Safeway to Target. Of course we still shop at Whole Foods for veggies, etc, and Costco for the bulk items we need. All of a sudden insted of spending 700/month at safeway we're doing it at Target...5% comes in handy.
              oh!! now i completely understand. not here, even tho the super targets have the grocery section, they not completive with the other grocery stores...maybe for diapers and such.

actually there is one albertsons still here and we every 3 weeks or so, drive 45 minutes because the prices are so good there...better than walmart, better than any sale other stores have, and the quality of the food is much better. we also, hit whole foods and the fish market in the same "food" hunting day trip.

my husband cuts coupons...but we still need to be careful not to buy just because it's on sale or we have the coupons...i think that was and is still a bit of my personal problem..i'm a FOOD HOADER!! if something i use is on special i will try to buy 10 and store it. when we moved in here and my neighbor came over i was unpacking my pantry from our "old" house...she said...shoot you have enough to feed this entire neighborhood in "dry" goods for the next 3 months...!! actually we didn't really shop other than fresh fruits and veggies almost the first entire year we were here.

it seems as though if you have cut EVERYTHING already the ONLY place to cut even more is on groceries!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

To add to the confusion, here's a bit more info;

Target has three Red credit cards...
                One is a credit card that can only be used at Target and Target.com
                Another is a debit card that links to your checking account. They say on their website that it can only be used at Target stores.
                Last one is a Target Visa, for which they are currently NOT taking applications

I got into trouble with the Target Visa and that's the card that I've had interface experiences with their customer service group. I think Target just sorta changed its mind about wanting to be in the credit card business!
                OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

Target was my smallest balance at 1500 and the FIRST one to cancel the card and offer a settlement- all within about a month and change.
                  They were also the first ones to raise their interest rate (after perfect payment) and refuse to negotiate a lower rate.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Just got back from Target, signed up for the RedCard Debit Card. All I needed was a voided check and Driver's License. The fact that I'm in the middle of a BK or have an OD'd checking account IIB didn't matter one bit. Saving extra 5% now, contributing additional 1% to my daughter's school through escrip (RedCard adheres to escrip) and all cash, no credit! Transaction from this morning showed on my bank account (online banking) as a regular debit card ourchase at Target, only with the RedCard account number as a transaction ID. Great way to save without incurring credit for those who are interested and shop at Target.

And oh, the 5% is in addition to any sale price, coupon, etc.

Comment

Just got back from Target, signed up for the RedCard Debit Card. All I needed was a voided check and Driver's License. The fact that I'm in the middle of a BK or have an OD'd checking account IIB didn't matter one bit. Saving extra 5% now, contributing additional 1% to my daughter's school through escrip (RedCard adheres to escrip) and all cash, no credit! Transaction from this morning showed on my bank account (online banking) as a regular debit card ourchase at Target, only with the RedCard account number as a transaction ID. Great way to save without incurring credit for those who are interested and shop at Target.

joe, this is really great to know...pandora had mentioned yesterday that it would be GREAT to have a separate forum about "money saving" tips...located all under one roof. this is a good one with that 5% savings!

Comment

I'll try for the debit card too! Thanks everybody.

Comment

Tried for the redcard credit and was rejected due to BK. It was discharged in Nov 2010. I should not have applied but did so anyway after checking in with this thread... FICO: 590

Comment

Awwww saw this old post and thought for a quick min ccsjoe was back...lol
                            "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" Ch 7 Filed 7/15/11 * 3 Minute 341 8/19/11 * Discharged 10/20/11

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy03 View Post
                              Awwww saw this old post and thought for a quick min ccsjoe was back...lol
                              ....but because i'm sure he sailed happily into the sunset!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X