Do we need to TRY to rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we need to TRY to rebuild?

Our BK7 discharge was 1/30/06. We were a no-asset case. Our equity in our home was very slightly over our state's allowed exemption but the trustee allowed it without any comment. We re-affirmed the mortgage (which was in my name) and DH's car loan (in his name), and we also both have student loans which of course we are now paying on again. DH also has a Visa with excellent terms through our credit union which had only a few hundred dollars owed and a $1000 limit, so he elected to re-affirm, not knowing if he could easily get as good a credit card ever again.

I have seen many posts about applying for credit cards after a period of time has passed since the discharge, in order to rebuild credit, and I am just wondering if that advice is applicable to us. My credit report shows that I am paying as agreed on a mortgage and a student loan, while DH's report shows he is paying as agreed on a car loan, student loan, and a modest credit card. Is anything more really needed to "establish" or "re-build" our credit?

Honestly in my heart I'd rather have a credit rating of zero and never borrow money for anything ever again, given what a nightmare the last ten years of trying and failing to get out of debt have been like. We are living in the home we hope to stay in for the rest of our lives. I don't ever want to buy another car unless I can pay cash. And with how badly we have been treated by banks I don't want to carry any bank's card ever again.

Sounds like your credit rebuilding is off to and excellent start already..........

House payments, auto payments, one current credit card, all help build credit.

If you want no other cc cards, then don't get any.....

Main thing right now is be on time with your payments, stay current on everything.......... and you will see that credit score go back up quickly.

Sounds like your off to a great start..................
    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

If nothing else, you should rebuild your credit for the simple reason that most insurance rates are now based off your credit score more than anything else, and some employers pull your credit report prior to employment. At the very least you need to make sure all 3 of your credit reports are reporting correctly and get any errors fixed.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X