Best 2nd credit card to apply for post chap 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 2nd credit card to apply for post chap 7

Hi all, I have asked this before last year, but maybe things have changed. I was d/c on 7/7/10 so it has almost been a year. I was approved for my 1st CC w/Cap One on 12/2010 for $2,000 limit with no annual fee. The rate was high at 22.9, but I just charge less than 10% and pay in full each month. I have received an automatic credit line increase last month for $500. On my report I also have a $9100 line reporting from Discover card that was d/c in the BK, but for some reason it shows that the card is still open and my total line available with the Cap One added is $11,600.00. Who knows when that will ever correct, as far as the Discover line I mean. Now, does anybody have any suggestions which 2nd card i should apply for, preferably another w/o an annual fee, but that might be too much to ask. I know of Orchard Bank, another Cap One card which will probably have $39 annual fee based on their soft approval check. I tried Hooters, but they wouldn't tell my annual fee and the limit was only $300 so I backed out b4 it hit my credit reports. I only have 4 inquiries or less on all my reports. Any suggestions on a 2nd card? I am not military or anything, so I cannot apply for NFCU or others. Thanks all for your help!!
    Discharged Chapt 7 on 7/7/10.
    Scores as of 7/12/11: EQ Fico 653; TU Fico 644; EX Quizzle 652
    Only card right now is Cap One $2500, no AF, approved 12/4/10.

By the way, my scores are: EQ Fico 653; TU Fico 615; EX Quizzle 652. These are all as of 4/2011. Thanks again for any feedback and responses.

Comment

Anyone have any suggestions on where to go to get a decent 2nd card. Thanks again...

Comment

Are you looking for secured or unsecured?
        Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
        Discharged: August 2010
        A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Hi---ssc2761---glad that you asked---since I've been looking too---for an unsecured card.

Comment

Unsecured only at this point. My 1st credit card since BK discharged was Cap 1 unsecured. So I really would rather not get a secured card.

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
            Are you looking for secured or unsecured?

Comment

So looking for an unsecured 2nd credit card. Orchard Bank has been suggested in the past, but I believe they only give $300 or so lines. Will this help my credit or should I just wait until 1 yr after d/c of my chap 7? Or if Credit unions are they best best, then anyone suggest any that you don't have to be military. Thanks for any responses or feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment

I would suggest Barclays, I hear they are BK friendly. If you are looking for a decent credit limit Orchard may not be the road to go. Also look into a local credit union, as credit unions are a bit more understanding of BKs.
                Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
                Discharged: August 2010
                A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that Barclays maybe be BK friendly a year out from discharge. I believe it used to be the old Juniper card. The ones that I found most info on are the Barclays priceline card and the Barclays Apple card. If I do go this route, I will go for the priceline w/o the annual fee. I researched and found that if I'm denied I can call their backdoor number and recon that decision to try and get approved. I think I'll wait about a few weeks and possibly try this one if I don't find anything better. I just want to establish a 2nd card as my scores haven't moved now in months since I got that first card. Even the $500 CL increase on my Cap One didn't move the score. I only use less than 10% of my line each month and then pay in full. Anybody else have any input? Thanks!!!!

Comment

I was discharged a short while ago and just opened accounts with OC Credit Union...I live in Orange County, CA. I opened savings, checking and a secured personal loan simultaneously......they have the secured personal loans starting at $500.00 min. I am leaving the loan proceeds in the checking account to add to savings when I'm done paying it off in one year. Then I'll do it all over again next year! I'm assuming the on-time monthly loan payments will up my credit scores. The criteria for joining the CU is very simple....live or work in OC. Possibly this type of loan would work to help kick up your score? If you can locate a CU to join? It is an excellent vehicle for stockpiling savings, while building credit at the same time! Otherwise, I also have a Cap One with small limit, no annual fee.
                    Retained attorney 05-18-10
                    Stopped Paying CC minimum payments 06-18-10; Filed Ch. 7 Dec. 2010
                    Discharged & Closed March 2011

Comment

Anybody else have information on whether offthewall's secured personal loan will positively effect his credit reporting. If so, I bank with Safe Credit Union, is it possible I could take out a similar loan against the funds already in my accounts there? Thanks in advance to any feedback/responses on this.

Originally posted by offthewall View Post
                      I was discharged a short while ago and just opened accounts with OC Credit Union...I live in Orange County, CA. I opened savings, checking and a secured personal loan simultaneously......they have the secured personal loans starting at $500.00 min. I am leaving the loan proceeds in the checking account to add to savings when I'm done paying it off in one year. Then I'll do it all over again next year! I'm assuming the on-time monthly loan payments will up my credit scores. The criteria for joining the CU is very simple....live or work in OC. Possibly this type of loan would work to help kick up your score? If you can locate a CU to join? It is an excellent vehicle for stockpiling savings, while building credit at the same time! Otherwise, I also have a Cap One with small limit, no annual fee.

Comment

crazy. i'm sorry....credit score...rewards points...I think it's crazy to get a cc after bk. just my opinion. why borrow money at all? live w/in your means....save....we cut up our 8 cc's 2 years ago...just filed in March, a chapter 13...have never used a cc since 2008ish...renting cars..everything can be done with debit.
                        we will never have a credit card again. never.
                        michelle...mother of 4

Comment

To each his/her own. I would rather build up my credit score, so when I do want to either refinance my home or buy another house for rental property income, then I will be able to do so. If I just sit here and do not repair my credit and do nothing, then when the time comes I will be stuck. They will look at me like an 18 yr old who has no credit. I use my card every month and then pay in full, just to build up credit. If others are content with renting and using only debit cards, then I don't have a problem with it, but that life is not for me. I also basically only use debit cards and pay off CC balances in full each month, but I am building my credit power in the process. I would like to have rental properties in the future for residual income.

Originally posted by pcmbates View Post
                          crazy. i'm sorry....credit score...rewards points...I think it's crazy to get a cc after bk. just my opinion. why borrow money at all? live w/in your means....save....we cut up our 8 cc's 2 years ago...just filed in March, a chapter 13...have never used a cc since 2008ish...renting cars..everything can be done with debit.
                          we will never have a credit card again. never.
                          michelle...mother of 4

Comment

I applied for the Barclay Apple card and I was denied. I was discharged in 2008.

Comment

I would call to recon that decision. I've heard they deny alot of people, but when you recon you may have a chance at getting approved. Depends on your TU score and I believe you have to be 1 yr out from BK, which you are. It also helps to have another positive tradeline reporting since BK. Good luck! I hope I get it when I apply in a few weeks after I'm 1 yr out from BK. I already have a Cap One reporting to all the bureau's since BK.

Originally posted by Willswife View Post
                              I applied for the Barclay Apple card and I was denied. I was discharged in 2008.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X