Any experience with 5th 3rd Bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience with 5th 3rd Bank?

This was an annoying situation, totally preventable had my boyfriend and I communicated better. My boyfriend has 2 banks: his main bank is USAA. His secondary bank is TCF that he has kept back from his high school days. There was a snafu with his direct deposit so his paycheck was mailed to his mom's. She deposited it into TCF.

This is where the miscommunication set in: Out of that check I paid off his USAA credit card, which was apx $600. I paid it from TCF using USAA web bill pay. I then told SO that we should move the remainder into his USAA. He thought I had not paid the credit card. I (at the time) did not have access to his TCF account. So when I asked him how much to transfer he told me $1600 (which included what I had already paid to the credit card).

When we realized the error panic set in. I checked TCF's overdraft policy. We were understanding that due to our error there would be fees. I was expecting about $35 or so. But no... TCF has a daily overdraft charge.

We held out hope TCF would reject the transfer since the funds were not there... bastards paid it, so his account went negative. He was charged $28 a day. As soon as we saw they paid it we transferred $800 back to TCF. It was a 4 day process, he was smacked with $112 for the overdraft fee.

Even though I understand this was entirely our fault it still left a bad taste in my mouth. He's now wanting to close the account. Anyway, there is no TCF where he currently lives, so there is no point in keeping them around.

His mom and I both bank with BofA so we're not going that route. I'm getting ready to pull my stuff out with them. His dad is with Fifth Third. It makes more sense for him to open an account with Fifth Third since they have branches where he lives and my SO often helps his father with money.

So, can anyone tell me any experiences with Fifth Third? Is it a fairly good bank, or another B of A? We're looking for totally free checking which I am not sure they have.
    Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
    Discharged: August 2010
    A life lesson well learned.

I had no idea that TCF has a daily overdraft charge. Was this change recently? I have TCF so this concerns me even though I almost never have overdrafts. Free checking is hard to find nowadays but if you do please post.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
      So, can anyone tell me any experiences with Fifth Third? Is it a fairly good bank, or another B of A?
      Based on my own experience, I have to rate it as "another B of A". Unfortunately.
      But maybe it's just me..
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
      FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
      FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

I really like Fifth Third. We just finished a CH 13 which had our car loan with Fifth Third. We had no problems whatsoever and really like them. We are with a small branch which may help but you feel as though you're not just a number. Good luck.

Comment

Call TCF and exain the situation if this is the first time this happened they may waive the charges.

Comment

Be very careful. Fifth Third Bank also charges "extended" overdraft fees. Be sure to really read the fine print! I typically only read about this "extended" overdraft (and/or daily overdraft) fee from smaller banks and credit unions. The fact that larger banks like 5/3 Bank are doing it... just annoys me!

As stated, some banks are nice about "first time" offenses when you explain what really happened. They may reverse the entire fee or at least take some of it back (like the "daily" or extended fees) as a one-time courtesy. It NEVER hurts to ask.
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What is TCF?

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
                Be very careful. Fifth Third Bank also charges "extended" overdraft fees. Be sure to really read the fine print! I typically only read about this "extended" overdraft (and/or daily overdraft) fee from smaller banks and credit unions. The fact that larger banks like 5/3 Bank are doing it... just annoys me!

As stated, some banks are nice about "first time" offenses when you explain what really happened. They may reverse the entire fee or at least take some of it back (like the "daily" or extended fees) as a one-time courtesy. It NEVER hurts to ask.
                With today's technology there really is no excuse to overdraft your checking account. Accidents do happen but if you have a good bank the 1 time accident can usually be reversed. Happened to me once and I had 28 days of overdraft fees that were reduced to 1 day after I explained the situation.
                If you're over-drafting your checking account often then you're better off using a credit card and paying it completely off every month.

Logan

Comment

5/3 had bad overdraft fees, and they were nailed for some illegal practices as well. I'd stay away.
                  Filed: 12/29/11
                  341 Meeting: 1/23/12

Comment

We don't have one of those locally but when I saw them down South I thought it an odd name indeed. We had a lot of fun playing around with it lol.
                    Is TCF 5th 3rd or is that something else? The initials don't quite line up. Third cum Fifth?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
                      We don't have one of those locally but when I saw them down South I thought it an odd name indeed. We had a lot of fun playing around with it lol.
                      Is TCF 5th 3rd or is that something else? The initials don't quite line up. Third cum Fifth?
                      5th 3rd is not TCF. TCF is Twin Cities Federal.
                      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Mountain, thanks for clearing that up

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X