top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appliance Purchases and You: Where to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appliance Purchases and You: Where to go?

So my washing machine decided it had enough yesterday and died. A 2.2 cubic ft front loader, I discovered this by feeling a significant amount of water still in the drum after it had ran its full cycle yesterday. Something happened to the pump, we think. Given the age of the machine, the labor acrobatics necessary to maneuver the machine to service it, as well as the scarcity of parts, the wife and I decided it would probably be feasible to go and purchase a new machine.

Now here's my conundrum. Only having a small limit CC and a car loan just 5 mos out of my Ch. 7 discharge, I need to at least consider the possibility of applying for a store credit line. Problem is, not sure who I would apply with and where I could get the best support. Any ideas from the peanut gallery?
    Filed: 28 July 11 (Ch. 7) / 341: 6 Sep 11 / No Dist: 12 Sep 11
    Discharge: 9 Nov 11 / CLOSED: 15 Nov 11

I don't know what chains they have in MD - but in my appliance buying days, HH Gregg has been very good. Quality merchandise, competitive pricing.

Check to see which chains have competitive pricing, and are known for good customer service. Then try to do a little research on who backs their cards. I know Citibank backs some store cards, probably best to avoid those. GE backs a lot - probably better luck with GE than Citibank.
    Last edited by SMinGA2; 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

If you're just out of chapter 7 and don't have the money for new, I'd consider a craigslist toploader while you save. If you want to rebuilt credit, wait until you have the cash, then go shopping around for store credit and pay it off. Most likely you can sell the used washer for the same amount you bought it for when you're ready to buy new.

Comment

Top loader isn't feasible. Don't have the room. The machine I currently have came with the condo when I purchased it. Also, no way in hell I'm getting ANYTHING off of Craigslist. Just a personal rule of mine.

Comment

Check the classifieds in your local newspaper. You can find some great buys on appliances where there has been a death and the relatives are cleaning out the house, or where folks are having to move out and on... Good luck!
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Ultimately its up to you to decide whether or not its in your best interest to finance a machine.

I do suggest that you try and take a little time to research manufacturers, check reviews, and such. I know going without a w/d is a headache x 10 but if you rush and end up with a set you hate you'll regret it. Our set died last fall. We got a front loader Samsung set - on the low end of the Samsung machines but we're very happy with them. I got them at Brandsmart, and we paid cash. Many appliance stores have 30 day price guarantees. If you buy from somewhere that does, check prices constantly. About 2 weeks after we bought, Brandsmart put them down to $449 each machine (we paid $499 or 509 each) and so I went in with my receipt and got cash back for the difference.
            ~Staci
            Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

I've had good luck with Craigslist, but I'd never buy a front loader used from there or anywhere else either. Just too much to go wrong.

Comment

Why not Craigslist? I've had great luck buying used items on sites like that.

If the washer is working fine except for the pump, then see what it'd take to replace the pump. Maybe you'll find a real detailed how-to, and realize it's something you can do yourself (and if you're wrong...well you're just out the cost of the pump). Heck, maybe it's just a filter clogged up somewhere. It happens. Also, how high up is the drain hose going? Maybe the pump is just weak. Is there any way to have the high point of the drain hose be a bit lower? Really depends on the washer...had a pump go out on ours, was able to move the drain hose to the floor (long story, no I didn't have it draining directly on the floor). Worked fine.
                Standard disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. I am an idiot. Do not take my advice. I am not responsible for what happens if you blindly follow an idiot's advice. Blah blah and more legal stuff.

Comment

I got my Bosch frontloading washer and dryer used from Craigslist for $150 6 years ago (it was an $1800 set new). They are great machines and still going strong. You can get some real good deals on Craigslist, especially if you watch closely and jump on what you want as soon as you see it. Sure beats paying 19% or more in interest to a department store. There are other sources of used machines. Or you could use the laundromat until you can save money for a new machine. Trying to fix your machine is a good idea too.
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I've had great luck with buying on Craigslist. When you are getting something at about a 1/3rd of the cost it is worth it. However, I've found some place even better for appliances. It seems that people think that they will sell their items easily on eBay. Which you probably can except when the item is too heavy to ship. I picked up a front loading washer and dryer three years ago that I am still using for about $50. They listed it with "No Reserve"! So I bought it.

Comment

Well, we decided to pay cash for a new washer, which was promptly returned when the delivery guy said they couldn't install it with our existing dryer. So, my FIL came over to the house today to check it out, and lo and behold, we found what the issue was: a Nintendo DS stylus had somehow worked its way into the drain pump, which prevented the mechanism from opening or closing properly. So, instead of making a very costly mistake of replacing things outright, we ended up only spending a couple of hours to take things apart, clean things up, and the gas/tolls for my FIL.

However, SHOULD something happen that requires replacing a major appliance, we'll definitely check out eBay, or we may even give our local Habitat for Humanity ReStore a try.

Comment

Congrats on your successful resolution to the problem!!
                        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X