Got approved for a Barclaycard today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got approved for a Barclaycard today!

My FICO score is 661. I received two pre-selected offers from them that were identical. 0 annual fee and 22.9 interest which is fine because I don't plan to carry a balance. $2000 credit line. This is my second credit card since being discharged in oct. of '11. My first card was a Household Bank MasterCard with a $1000 limit. $39 annual fee on that one and no interest first year and 14.9 after that. Oh and Barclaycard is No interest for 6 months. Hope this additional card will help me continue to bring up my score. Just wanted to share!

Just use it sparingly and keep your usage below 30% at all costs (below 10% if you really can). The model likes higher credit limits as it shows how you do with having more money available. The lower credit card limits (below $500) actually "hurt" a little (but I don't know how much). I had a "reason" on one of my scoring models that my score was lowered because I had a low limit credit card. The card was used to re-establish my credit after the bankruptcy.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks. My 661 was with a little over 200 reporting on that 1000 limit card. 22% utilization. I want to shoot for under 10 percent going forward. I pay in full but they report that amount when the bill is generated it seems. Was pleased I got a higher limit on the Barclaycard. Wasn't sure how that would go but figured it was time to get another card to continue the building process. I hope to get a car in about a year and would love to be in the 680-700 range for that.

Comment

Congrats! Nicely done... if you use the card sparingly and have it generate a statement six months in a row and I believe Barclay will give you an automatic increase.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Amy26 is correct. I got $1000 automatic line increase from Barclay after 8 months.

Comment

Congrats budgetgal and like justbroke said, use it sparingly and keep that utilization under 10% and you should see your scores start to increase.
            Chp 13: Filed 3/26/2007

11/5/2012 - 68 Months and finally free!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. This site has been an invaluable resource!

Comment

Congrats! So far I am really enjoying the Barclaycard. I've been using it to pay bills and generate reward points and I've heard they're really good about giving increases.

Comment

Glad to hear you have had a positive experience with them! I'm planning on using it for bills too. Cool to get points for things I have to pay anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by reben View Post
                    Amy26 is correct. I got $1000 automatic line increase from Barclay after 8 months.
                    I have had my Barclay's card for 6 months. I just received a letter in the mail a few days ago giving me a $1,000 credit limit increase "for responsibly using my credit" with them. I will note that I have used it and carried a (small) balance on it off and on for the 6 months. It will be paid in full today, one week prior to my due date. There was no interest during the past 6 months so it cost me nothing to do this. My credit score just went up due to having more available credit.
                    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I got a Barclay promo in the mail. I signed up online, and was approved for $750. Before they decided on approval, they asked my if I planned to use the card at ATMs. Yes/No/Maybe. I said maybe. They also gave me an option for balance transfer, with a min of $100. I chose $120 to be over the min. They asked if I wanted online billing instead of paper. I said yes. Since they asked these questions before deciding, I assume it is part of the decision because all of these are profitable for Barclays. I was approved in seconds online, so I do not know yet if they did a hard or soft pull.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X