top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How soon after discharge to check credit report?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon after discharge to check credit report?

We have been discharged about a month now. How long should you wait to pull your report? Also, I've read that some sources are reliable, some not. Is Freecreditreport.com the only free one per year?

Thanks, as always, for your help!

Annualcreditreport.com is the site for free annual reports. If you've already had your 3 reports during the last 12 months, you can purchase them.
    Freecreditreport.com is a commercial paid membership service.
    These two are often confused.

Comment

As pointed out, annualcreditreport.com is the official free credit report sight.

Any other website is some sort of service, either a paid service (freecreditreport) or a marketing/info mining service (creditkarma).

No matter what, to get your true credit score, you will need to pay (e.g. myfico), any so called "free" credit score is a fake score.

I would wait another month before doing anything with your credit.

Comment

You can also obtain your credit report free from the bureaus themselves... if you initiate an "online dispute" with them they will allow you to view a current credit report for free. It will not have your score on it though. But it would be the most reliable second from calling them up and getting a paper report. The report that you can order from them and have them snail mail it to you is the most accurate.

You cannot abuse this method however, if you do they will lock you out of online report pulling via this method.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by overthedebt2 View Post
          We have been discharged about a month now. How long should you wait to pull your report? Also, I've read that some sources are reliable, some not. Is Freecreditreport.com the only free one per year?

Thanks, as always, for your help!
          I only waited about 2 weeks before pulling mine and everything seems to be fine with mine with the exception of one question on my car. If your case was more complicated then it might pay to wait.

Comment

Thank you all!! I appreciate the information. My case was pretty straightforward but I want to be sure nothing was missed.

Comment

Hi Amy26. How do you "initiate an online dispute" with the credit bureaus if you don't know what's currently on your report to dispute? Do you need to state something specific to "dispute"? TIA!

Comment

Originally posted by NewStart2012 View Post
                Hi Amy26. How do you "initiate an online dispute" with the credit bureaus if you don't know what's currently on your report to dispute? Do you need to state something specific to "dispute"? TIA!
                You need to have run an online credit report, to get the "initiate an online dispute". If you get the "free" annual credit report, available from every credit bureau, make sure to dispute right then! You can not log in later to do the online dispute.

Again, you need to have actually run your credit and have an electronic report available in order to dispute online.

(Also, it is fine to read through old postings, but please do not resurrect them. Just open a new thread with your question.)
                Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X