Finally... *Approved* for Capital One Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally... *Approved* for Capital One Card

So, I'm about a year & two months post-discharge & I've applied maybe 2 or 3 times for credit cards to rebuild my credit. DENIED each time... Until today... Approved for a Capital One card with $1,000 limit! Finally, I can start rebuilding my credit... I was counting on my reaffirmed car loan to show up on my credit report to help with getting my score back up, but that hasn't happened. Also, I think I needed to wait until a few hard inquiries dropped off (Went from 19 last year to currently 5, including this one).

So, here's to another new beginning. I will only be using this card for gas & will be paying it off every month. It has a $39 fee attached to it, so my hope is that by this time next year I can get a new one with no fee... Moving forward, one slow step at a time...
    Filed Ch7 11/2011, 341 - 12/5/11, 12/6/11 - Trustee's Report of No Distribution - No Funds
    Deadline to file Objections: 2/3/12, DISCHARGED & CLOSED 2/10/12!!!

Congratulations! Over the last 3 years I have turned into a huge Cap1 fangirl. If you do a Google search for "best rewards/travels card" you will see that Capital One is consistently ranked pretty high on most websites. The reviews for their rewards card is surprisingly good. My fiance is in a position to be able to get just about any credit card he wants but he still chose the Venture card because after doing tons of research and reading a ridiculous amount of reviews it turned out to be the best one for him.

I started applying for credit about 6-9 months after my BK. I did NOT charge off Cap1, but they continued to decline me, even for their damn secured card. I think I submitted three apps, and the fourth one they finally gave me a limit of $300 and into their Steps program I went. I eventually graduated to their Cash Rewards card with a 2k limit, and I am happy with that.

The downside is that they are not big into giving credit line increases, but for now I am content with my limit.
    Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
    Discharged: August 2010
    A life lesson well learned.

Comment

DH and I both just got the same card with the same limit! We are pretty excited. We both discharged Capital One cards but they gave DH a blank check right auto loan right away. We also both have Credit One cards with $550 limits and Victoria's Secret cards with $250 limits. I was afraid that Capital One would decline me because I don't currently have an installment loan but they didn't

We plan to just use it for gas - but it's so nice to have a "high" limit. I laugh that i think $1,000 is a high limit when I had $30,000 limits 5 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eener View Post
        We plan to just use it for gas - but it's so nice to have a "high" limit. I laugh that i think $1,000 is a high limit when I had $30,000 limits 5 years ago.
        I thought the same thing about the $1,000 limit. Haha! My last Capital One card that was included in my BK had a $25,000 limit... But, now it's just about getting that score up without taking on any new debt.
        Filed Ch7 11/2011, 341 - 12/5/11, 12/6/11 - Trustee's Report of No Distribution - No Funds

Comment

This card just hit my credit report a few days ago & my (creditkarma) score increased 23 points! I spent $225 of the $1,000 (only 4% of my total available credit balances), which I'll pay in full tomorrow. But, wow, I had no idea it would shoot up like that so quickly. Now it's just a waiting game for the average age of my accounts to increase & for some hard inquiries to fall off next year. 700's here I come!!

Comment

Congrats! It took me over 2.5 years to get a Cap1 card again! I did bk 3 of their cards so that could be why they wouldn't give me one sooner! Oh well, no annual fee, and zero interest until November '13 then 18%, not great, but I only keep low balances if I have any. I will be cutting loose my two oldest cards since my dicharge (Bank One and BBRZMC) both have annual fees! No more fees, thank you!
            November 2, 2009: Filed Chapter 7, December 10, 2009: 341 Done! January 11, 2010 Last Day for Objections! February 9, 2010 Discharged!!! February 12, 2010 Case Closed, MyFico on 11/09: 550, Now: 715!

Comment

OP I just applied for the same card and got approved with the same credit limit as you and also the annual fee of 39.00 It's ok by me it is a start. I have only been discharged from my 13 for a month now. I was surprised I got approved.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X