Gettington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gettington

I got a catalog with a "pre-approved" line of $750.00 from Gettington dot com a few months ago. The financing is underwritten through Web Bank, which will co-brand pretty much anyone, but which I haven't heard anything especially horrible about.

I'd never heard of Gettington before, but I glanced at the catalog and found them to be a Fingerhut-type outfit -- only with much better prices. I didn't bother ordering anything, however, because I simply didn't need anything. Also, the reviews on the company were mixed -- but in my experience, people who have bad experiences are much more likely to write reviews than people who had good experiences, so that wasn't a deal killer in itself.

The following month, I got another Gettington catalog that had a set of patio furniture that I liked on sale, so what the heck. I decided to order it. But when placing the order, the site errored out on my physical address. That's not unusual because the place where I live doesn't have carrier route mail delivery (everyone has a PO box), so my "physical" address (actually, the 911 address) doesn't validate. Private carriers like UPS, etc. will deliver to my physical address, but the Postal Service won't.

Nonetheless, because the address doesn't validate, the site vomited on it. So I called Gettington, and a very nice AMERICAN lady took my call, overrode the shipping address, placed the order for me, charged it to the account they opened for me, and gave me free shipping because of the "inconvenience" of my having to call them. The free shipping was a very nice gift, by the way. Because of the bulk and weight of the product (I think it was 160 pounds) it saved me a pretty penny.

She also gave me a delivery date, but I actually received the the order a day or two early. Not one to be unappreciative, I paid off the bill early, as well.

Today, about a month later, I decided to order a carpet cleaner from Gettington (mine is about ready to die, and dirty carpets are one of those things that just bother me). So I placed the order a bit after lunch (it didn't error out this time), paid the extra $9.95 for express shipping, and got the shipment notice email a few minutes ago. Less than four hours from order to shipment. Not bad at all.

I also got a notice that my credit line had been increased to $1,050.00, by the way.

Gettington's interest rate is 14.9 percent if you choose the "fast" financing option (four payments), and 19.9 percent if you choose the "easy" option (I think eight payments). There's no annual fee. There are late fees and returned check fees of, I think, $35.00 and $30.00.

Although it's too soon for me to make a definitive recommendation, I think Gettington might be a good resource for rebuilding credit. Also, based on my limited experiences so far, they seem to be a good vendor, which is also very important. I wouldn't sign up with a crappy vendor just to get their credit, but Gettington, so far, seems like a pretty good one.

For example, Gettington's prices tend to be pretty decent. Their price on the carpet cleaner I bought today was $199.95. That makes it even with HSN, $.03 less than Wal-Mart, $.04 less than Hoover sells it for direct, $20.05 less than FrontGate, and $90.05 less than J.C. Penney. Only K-Mart and Target came in lower, both at $19.96 less than Gettington's price.

Of course, there's also the shipping; but Gettington's shipping costs seem pretty fair. The shipping and handling for my order today (which weighs in at ~ 20 pounds or so) would have been $15.02 for standard shipping. That's pretty reasonable. I paid the extra $9.95 only because I want the thing sooner. (I really hate dirty carpets.)

So yeah, between the retail pricing and the shipping I paid more than I could have at K-Mart or Target. But on the other hand, we're talking about ways to rebuild credit here. How to be a tightwad -- another favorite pastime of mine, by the way -- is a subject for another thread.

Also, it's a 90+ mile round trip for me to go to Target, or a 120+ round trip to go to K-Mart. Add in a few hours of my life, and the shipping suddenly seems like a pretty good deal.

So long story short, I think Gettington might be a good resource for rebuilding credit. I already have some plastic and a credit union loan, so I'm not fresh out of BK. But I'm not that far out, either. Maybe applying to Gettington after your first or second credit card might be part of a good strategy.

-Richard
    Last edited by RichM; 06-26-2013, 01:25 PM.
    Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
    Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Do you know for sure that they report to the credit agencies?
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Yep. It shows up as "WEBBANK/GTN."

Comment

Gettington is Fingerhut . They are both out of St. Cloud Minnesota but Gettington's prices are cheaper. They report to 2 out of the 3 major credit agencies. Additionally, if you go to retailmenot.com they have discount coupons for this store and many others.

Comment

I know that many years ago, Fingerhut was very easy to get credit from. If that's true, Gettington may also be a good rebuilding option for people who can't qualify for a credit card.

I always go to retailmenot.com before ordering something online. I also search the website name plus "coupon code." But, retalimenot is where I usually end up finding a discount.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

But we have to be careful to buy only what we need as you so eloquently state over and over. "Deals" are what got some of us in trouble the first time

Comment

Now that's interesting, that the two are one company. I wonder what the logic behind that move was, because the difference in prices is dramatic.

-Richard

Comment

Originally posted by magic13 View Post
                But we have to be careful to buy only what we need as you so eloquently state over and over. "Deals" are what got some of us in trouble the first time
                Most definitely!

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
                  Now that's interesting, that the two are one company. I wonder what the logic behind that move was, because the difference in prices is dramatic.
                  The answer is simple; it's MARKETING! Those that are put off by Fingerhut's prices--as I am, may be tempted more by the 'lower price' offered by Gettington.

I will confess that I had never heard of Gettington before I saw this thread, so I went to the website and looked around briefly, thinking that this looks a lot like Fingerhut.
                  "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Funny - I received a catalog from them today. Pre-approved for $750. I didn't order anything because I didn't need anything - but they had some decent offers, competitive interest-rates and brand name products. Certainly an option to rebuild credit right out of BK and certainly better than those thieves like matrix who want to offer you a Discover card with a $150 annual fee.
                    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
                    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
                    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                      Funny - I received a catalog from them today. Pre-approved for $750. I didn't order anything because I didn't need anything - but they had some decent offers, competitive interest-rates and brand name products. Certainly an option to rebuild credit right out of BK and certainly better than those thieves like matrix who want to offer you a Discover card with a $150 annual fee.
                      I have to say, I remember my parents dealing with Fingerhut when I was a child, and I dealt with them when I was a young adult. The service was always good, even if the prices were not so good. My experiences with Gettington thus far have also been good, despite the mixed reviews I've read about the company; so knowing they're of the same parent as Fingerhut actually feels like a plus to me.

If the service continues to be good and the pricing competitive, they'll be a good resource for me not only for credit-building, but also simply as a vendor. Where I live, the cost of gas and travel has to be calculated into purchases, offsetting the shipping costs to some extent.

-Richard

Comment

Just a quick update: My order arrived today, in good order and two days earlier than promised.

-Richard

Comment

Sounds interesting. Did you happen to compare their prices with Amazon?
                          Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
                          Discharged: August 2010
                          A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
                            Sounds interesting. Did you happen to compare their prices with Amazon?
                            Amazon was the same as Target and K-Mart, which was $19.96 less than Gettington. I don't know what it would have come out to with the express shipping. I usually check Amazon first, but I wanted to use (and pay off) Gettington's credit line for credit-building purposes, as long as their price was at least in the ballpark.

As I said, Gettington seems to sell things at close to retail list prices (or less when they have something on sale, like the patio furniture I bought), with fair shipping rates, and lower interest than most other companies that extend credit to people with bruised credit. So far, I've also been very pleased with their customer service.

My main interest in the company for our purposes, however, was as a resource for rebuilding credit. Still, the fact that their service has (so far) been excellent, their prices aren't exorbitant, and their interest isn't usurious, are nice additions.

-Richard

Comment

I applied and was approved for a credit line of $1000. I am going to wait for a catalog and see what they have. I was wanting to get a new vacuum and dishes.
                              Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
                              Discharged: August 2010
                              A life lesson well learned.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X