Gettington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
    I applied and was approved for a credit line of $1000. I am going to wait for a catalog and see what they have. I was wanting to get a new vacuum and dishes.
    Congratulations!

I'm enjoying my carpet cleaner mightily, by the way.

Just as an aside, my obsession with dirty carpets began years ago, when I was living in a basement apartment in Queens. The carpeting didn't look dirty, but the place had that musty odor that basement apartments can get. So on a whim, I bought a carpet cleaner that was on sale somewhere (probably Target, because they were close by), figuring that maybe it would freshen the place up.

The first time I used it -- HOLY COW! The water that came out was like mud. I mean, I could have planted tomatoes in the thing. That was a real eye-opener, and it made me into an obsessive-compulsive carpet cleaner.

That machine lasted until my niece borrowed it... you know how that goes. With four kids, she really needed it, so I just bought another (a used one from Craig's List that I think I paid $25.00 for). That one started making funny noises a few weeks ago, so I decided to splurge on a new one, and kill two birds with one stone by working out my Gettington account (which was already down to zero balance after paying off the picnic set).

I'm convinced that Gettington is a good deal if you use it like you intend to: Wait for a sale on something you actually need, buy it at a good price, and pay it off. I'm very pleased with them thus far. Also, they will start sending you paper catalogs soon. Check them carefully. There's almost always a promo code on them.

-Richard
    Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
    Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

I'm starting to like this company, just in terms of being a good merchant.

I was in the market for a GPS navigation unit for my second car, and after comparison shopping, I actually found that Gettington had the best deal on what I was looking for (basically, any decent GPS with lifetime maps and a friction-type dash mount, rather than those stupid suction cups that fall off the windshield whenever the temperature changes). Gettinton had a nice deal on a Garmin Nuvi with the type of mount I like, for less than anyone else except Wal-Mart. Plus, for whatever reason, I got free shipping, which made it cheaper to buy it from Gettington than to make the trek to Wal-Mart and back.

Easy credit aside, Gettington seems like just a good place to people like me who live out in the sticks to buy stuff. I'm glad they found me.

-Rich

Comment

I've been getting these catalogs the last few months as well. I was tempted a couple of times to sign up for their financing but didn't really need anything, so I haven't. It's good to know though that they are good to work with if I ever do need something they sell. Thanks for the sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by RichM View Post
          Congratulations!

The first time I used it -- HOLY COW! The water that came out was like mud. I mean, I could have planted tomatoes in the thing. That was a real eye-opener, and it made me into an obsessive-compulsive carpet cleaner.

-Richard
          When we replaced our carpeting with laminate, I couldn't believe how often it needed to be cleaned. And then I realized how much crap was in our carpets that we didn't know about. So while I hate how often I need to clean the laminate, it's a love-hate relationship because I know I'm keeping my floors cleaner than when we had carpet. So kudos to you for being a good carpet keeper. And thanks again for the feedback on Gettington.

Comment

Just an update -- Gettington (Web Bank, actually) just increased my credit line again, this time to $1,650.00. I've never used more than approximately $250.00 of my limit with them and have made all payments promptly.

Long story short, Gettington clearly seems to be pretty generous with credit line increases if you make all your payments on time. They're also, in my experience, a very good vendor, with competitive prices, prompt shipping, and good, U.S.-based customer service. I continue to recommend them for these reasons.

My caveat would be that if you still have a problem with impulsive spending, then Gettington's generous credit line policies could possibly result in your getting into trouble again. That's not one of my problems at this point in my life. Actually, to be honest, I'm pretty much a tightwad.

In summary, if you have discipline, I think Gettington credit is a good credit-building tool, and I've found the company to be an excellent online merchant. But if you lack discipline... well, then maybe this is one you should think twice about before accepting.

-Richard

Comment

Funny you should bump this, I just now got my first catalog after applying for them back in June. They do seem to have pretty good prices. Can I just pay it off when I order something?
              Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
              Discharged: August 2010
              A life lesson well learned.

Comment

I remember several years back, when Fingerhut was sending catalogs to everyone with a supposedly "pre-approved" credit line. I received their catalogs for a while, which made excellent bathroom reading material, but I never would have bought anything from them due to their high prices. I had relatively poor credit at the time, so I just figured that the company was for people trying to rebuild, which I was not interested in doing at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
                  Funny you should bump this, I just now got my first catalog after applying for them back in June. They do seem to have pretty good prices. Can I just pay it off when I order something?
                  Yes. You can choose (I think) one, four, or twelve payments, and they will show you the total cost each way. The interest rate is higher for the longer term. But whichever term you select, you can always pay them off early without penalty.

-Rich

Comment

Originally posted by LadyInTheRed View Post
                    I know that many years ago, Fingerhut was very easy to get credit from. If that's true, Gettington may also be a good rebuilding option for people who can't qualify for a credit card.

I always go to retailmenot.com before ordering something online. I also search the website name plus "coupon code." But, retalimenot is where I usually end up finding a discount.
                    Same here, retailmenot.com has helped me several times. They also have an app that I've used several times when I've forgotten to take a coupon with me to the store. Recently I heard about a similar app called zendeals, but have yet to try it. Other great coupon apps: Target's Cartwheel, Coupon Sherpa, and PassWallet. Ebay is also a great place if you are looking for something specific below retail.

Comment

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been around much. I've been busy with work, and the V.A. has me running around for medical tests; so I've been a bit short in the time department.

I did, however, want to update this thread by mentioning that Gettington's increased my credit limit again, this time to $2,450.00.

I continue to recommend this company both as a good credit-rebuilding resource, and because they're a good merchant. Their service has been consistently excellent, and their prices are competitive. Usually the price + shipping is still less than what I'd pay to buy the stuff "locally" once the gas is factored in, "locally" being a relative term where I live.

-Richard

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X