Just got discharge and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got discharge and need some advice

Can someone tell me where i need to go to have access to my credit report so I can keep reviewing it and getting the reports corrected that are on it. I did the free one that you get by law but you just get that once I believe and cant keep monitoring it to make things get fixed. I am completely new to this all. I just received my discharge in the mail last week so I will take all advice given to get me on the right path.

i had some state tax liens on my credit where I opened a business retail tax certificate but never done anything with it and the pro rated the taxes and it went on my credit. I have since then filled all paper work to close it and get the liens taken care of. The state sent me papers showing that the liens are taken care of because there are some still on my report that are showing open.

Comment

Over 100 views and no help?

Comment

You can basically monitor for free, weekly TU at Credit Karma, monthly EX at Credit.com and Credit Sesame. For $12.95/mo., EliminateIDTheft (My Privacy Matters), 3-in-1 daily pulls (after 24 hrs. + 1 min.), USAA is better, but more expensive at $22.95/mo. If you sign up for any of them, ignore the scores as they are not FICO.

What is the question on the liens?

Comment

Have you already gotten copies of all 3 of your credit reports? If not, go to annualcreditreport.com and get the ones you don't have. Or, just get one for now and one of the others in 4 months from now and do that every 4 months. Most errors will show up on all 3 reports. If you dispute an error, the creditor should fix all reports. Reviewing each report once a year should be sufficent. I'd wait until 60 days after discharge to review any report to give things time to settle.

Certain events entitle you to a free or reduced price credit report even if you received one within 12 months. Go to http://www.consumerfinance.gov/askcf...it-report.html for more information.

If you want to monitor your reports more than the free copies allow, you will have to pay for a credit monitoring service. All 3 bureaus offer them as well as other services. A Google search will turn up many options. Make sure you read the fine print about cancellation policies.
          LadyInTheRed is in the black!
          Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
          $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Dude- SOP is to wait 2-3 or 6 months. You cant do anything much credit wise- I do advise check out credit carma tho
            Discharged- pro se- chapter 7~!

Comment

Originally posted by anykey View Post
              Dude- SOP is to wait 2-3 or 6 months. You cant do anything much credit wise- I do advise check out credit carma tho
              Credit Karma sux, my score on their site has not changed in over 10 months and the score is far below my real TU FICO score.
              Filed Chapter 7: Nov 2012, Discharged Feb 2013, Closed May 2014
              Post-Discharge:EQ: 665, EX: 716, TU: 674 (All Fakos)
              Current FICO Scores (1/1/15): Ex: 706, TU: 690, EQ: 676

Comment

Credit Karma is free, and the only free service that is weekly. The scores should be viewed as entertainment. Every once in awhile mine goes over 700, that is always entertaining as my actual Fico has never come close, but I love seeing it.

Comment

thanks so much for the replies. I just want to make sure I do things right this time and build it the right way.

Comment

So by signing up for one of the services I will be able to get detailed reports right? just like i did with the one free one correct?

Comment

If you don't mind paying, USAA is the best 3-in-1 option, if you can sign up for it. They've recently changed their terms as to who can join even as a partial member.

The most detailed reports come from each individual CRA, but you have to pay for them if you've already had your annual. Any of the monitoring services available do not show as much detailed info as those from the CRA's but they are fine for monitoring. Do some more research, before signing up to find the one that's right for you. I'd go ahead sign up for the freebies since they don't cost anything.

And be sure and keep your old full annual reports. They may come in handy in case something shows up incorrectly, which does happen.

Comment

My barclay card has starting a FICO score online. Is this legit or like a fako score like credit karma.

Comment

The credit score with your Barclay's card is a TU Fico. A number of CC's began giving customers monthly Fico scores recently. I believe Discover now does, and Walmart has been doing this for awhile.

Comment

For reference, these are my scores:

CreditKarma: 697

Barclay's: 657

Discover: 644

Comment

I was in the same boat as you few months before I was discharged I signed up for myfico.com and experian credit tracker to make sure everything was reporting correctly.

Scorewatch is 14.95 but if you call them up and cancel they will cut that in half to keep you as a member. I also had their quarterly transunion service for 4.95 a month. I did the same with experian credit tracker, it started out as I beleive 19.95 then lowered it to 8.95 when I tried to cancel.

I no longer have any of these services as everything has finally dropped off my report

Good luck to you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X