top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can / Should I get a Credit Union Secured Card when my husband is going to declare BK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can / Should I get a Credit Union Secured Card when my husband is going to declare BK

Hi,

I have only recently been married and my husband has had a lot of credit card debt for years. Due to some changes, he is now unable to pay and decided to file for BK. As most was collected before we got married, we were informed that it is possible that only he files. At the same time I am also new to the US and thus have no credit (or credit card here) yet. We were now thinking that I should try building up my credit in case we need it and hope this works independently of each other.

The best way - or at least what I researched so far - is to start with a secured credit card and our Credit Union offers one that seems a good deal.

NOW THE QUESTION is: can / should I apply for this, even though my husband is going to default on his CU credit card as it is a big part of the bankruptcy (about 1/3). As he is the one who signed me up as a member to CU, and I not only have my independent membership with them, but we also have a joint checking and savings account under his membership, our accounts there are closely linked.
    Should I still try to get a secured credit card from them? And if so, will that help to build my credit score, while his goes down?

He is going to default / i.e. not pay by next week. So I am guessing I should try and get a secured credit card before then?

Thanks for any help / opinions. The whole process is still fairly fresh for us, thus apologies, in case anyone gets annoyed with my naive approach.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X