No announcement yet.

Obligations of Credit Bureaus with respect to inaccurate/incorrect information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obligations of Credit Bureaus with respect to inaccurate/incorrect information

I'm just wondering what obligation (legally speaking) the credit bureaus have in removing incorrect/inaccurate information - specifically when the information is incorrect or inaccurate, and yet after disputing this with the credit bureaus they still keep it on the credit reports (either because they stated they received confirmation from the creditor it was accurate or for some other reason).

And is there any recourse aside from a lawsuit? Or is a lawsuit against the credit bureaus even allowed when they won't remove incorrect/inaccurate information, or do you have to sue (or otherwise contest) the creditor themselves that is reporting this inaccurate/incorrect information?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I think they take the creditor's word for it. I had a mortgage loan discharged in BK.. but I think it was Experian (or Equifax?).. sorry I don't remember which one.. but I disputed the account at least 2-3 times over the course of a couple of years. But I had the mortgage loan "modified", so they said that was reason enough to count it as a valid loan to report on. On the plus side, this was supposedly actually helping my account since all the payments were showing as being paid on time? However, the other 2 CRAs were not reporting the account as new debt. They were still treating the account as IIB.

The other thing I hate is how past IIB credit accounts can "trigger" a current datestamp on an account making it "appear" that your late was reset to that "datestamp" (showing your late occurred within 30 days of that date). "THIS" is where there should be a lawsuit against either the CRAs and/or the creditors!
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by ColSandurz2 View Post
      because they stated they received confirmation from the creditor it was accurate or for some other reason
      At this point, the CRA has done their job. As to filing a suit against them, good luck, but you're wasting your time and efforts with this.

If you can absolutely prove that the information that is being reported is not correct, then you need to look to who is reporting it to the CRA. That's your starting point.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Agree with Frogger. Your issue is with the creditor, not the bureaus. While the FCRA does place a little more accountability on the bureaus, the creditor themselves are the ones the bureau takes their direction from after they have followed a detailed process to try to resolve for you. Sounds like they might have done their due diligence here.

Have you called the creditor about what you think might be the error? What is the inaccurate information?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X