Wife's credit history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's credit history

Our BK closed nearly five years ago now and my credit score is coming along nicely, EFX:677, TU:698 (Vantage is 733 but I understand that's useless). In January this year we closed on a bargin house (2,340 sqft manufac on 7.24 acres for $82K). The financing took six months due to the BK and Citi mortgage not forclosing until forced two years and four months after the BK. While processing the mortgage I noticed that my wife's credit scores were about 20 points higher than mine. I'm guessing that's because some of the write off credit cards we had were in my name only. I currently have three credit cards (being used as charge cards) two of which my wife is an authorized user and she is also listed as joint purchaser on the house.

Here's my question. Do we need to have my wife obtain her own credit card(s) to ensure her a credit history of her own or does having her as an authorized user on the cards and her joint status on the house ensure she'll have a solid credit history should I depart this earthly existance before her?

Originally posted by copernicus View Post
    Here's my question. Do we need to have my wife obtain her own credit card(s) to ensure her a credit history of her own or does having her as an authorized user on the cards and her joint status on the house ensure she'll have a solid credit history should I depart this earthly existance before her?
    The house will report in her name just as it does on yours. That's good. Regarding the authorized user status on your credit cards, it's tricky. Some credit cards report AUs. Some do not. The best idea is to pull her credit report and see exactly what is and is not reporting. You can do that for free on annualcreditreport.com. Alternatively, there's sites like creditkarma and creditsesame that are free.

For an optimal credit score, it is recommended to have 3 or more revolving (credit card) accounts reporting.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X