top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Closed my Merrick Bank secured card. First cc post 13.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed my Merrick Bank secured card. First cc post 13.

I got a MB visa secured for $350 3 years ago after my 13 discharge. I parlayed it into Barclay card, two chases, Discover, QS, etc. they don't graduate the card to an unsecured card. So I finally got tired of paying the $3 a month fee. The lady asked me why I was closing my card. I told her they should graduate the cards. I have cards with $10'000 limits so I didn't need a $350 card. She closed it and then I asked her about my Sec Deposit, she put me on hold for a long while. Then said I'd receive it in 60 days. It was a good starter card but I wished I'd gotten one that graduated. It won't hurt my AAoA since Barclay was opened about the same time.

Fees are bad. There are secured cards that both graduate and do not charge any fees.

Congratulations on dropping the card!
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

Good call. I actually was lucky enough to get an unsecured card from them a little after discharge. It has a $300 limit... and "still" has a $300 limit today (after 5-6 years?). At least there's no AF so I keep it open. I have a feeling some accounts are "marked" to never increase the CL. On the flip side.. my wife received an invitation to open a Merrick CC for about $1k.. and then after 6 months, they said they'd double her CL after 5-6 months.. which they did.

Meanwhile, I have 3 other CCs with lines between $6k-8k. My best cards to date are USAA and DCU. They have both treated me well. So I may actually be at a point to just close my $300 Merrick bank card.. mainly, it will affect my AAoAs but I don't know if I care anymore.
      Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X