Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice

Hi everyone,

I filed a no-asset BK7 in 2004 due to a divorce, a bout of unemployment and resulting credit card debt. I'm now 60 years old, fortunately employed full-time and earn a decent salary - $49K a year but in South Florida which has a very high cost of living. Not complaining though because I know some are worse off than I am.

I carefully rebuilt my credit over the past 3 years, saved as much as I could, lived frugally, bought a used car in cash, and then was able to buy an older (built in 1980) condo apartment last year with 100% fixed-rate financing at 6.44%. I have EXACTLY $5,000 in a savings account after the closing costs, initial repairs, moving expenses, etc. I really can't save anymore on a regular basis because I am also contributing $150 every 2 weeks to a retirement plan. Remember, I am 60 years old.

All is well except that.. and here is my question: I have just incurred $2,200 in expenses between my condo air conditioner unit, my car's a/c compressor and a new stove because the old one was 27 years old and died. I put all that on my no-fee WAMU Visa at 11.49% APR. I can only pay about $100-$125 per month toward that debt.

I wonder if I should just dip into my $5,000 emergency fund and pay that off, or pay off half of it, or what. I know I'm throwing money away in interest, but after having gone through the situations that led me to bankruptcy I'm just so scared not to have a couple thousand in the bank, as liquid money, for emergencies.

If there is anyone here with financial expertise could you please tell me what I should do? Cut my only savings/cash reserve in half and pay off the CC debt, or keep my savings liquid and try to pay off the CC debt ASAP?

You know, whoever said that when it rains it pours, deserves a Nobel prize in philosophy!

Thanks for any feedback. I'm just so scared about having ANY kind of credit card balances after my bankruptcy.
    BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

IMO, the emergency fund is much more important than the interest you are paying on 2200. worth of debt at age 60.

Keep the money in savings, pay the cc off as fast as you can with more than minimum payments and try not to use the cc anymore. Use the emergency fund in the future and pay it back as you would a cc. If you were younger, I would say pay it off and pay back the savings account.

You say you cannot save money, but, you are paying 300. to yourself via your retirement plan. I say, good job!, you are saving money.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, B12!

What I meant by I can't save "any more money" is that, I can't put anything else into my savings account because $150 is automatically deducted from my paycheck every pay period for my retirement plan.

I think my age makes a big difference, as you pointed out. I'll keep my savings and try to make the highest possible payments every month to WAMU Visa to pay off the $2200 debt. I'm also thinking that very soon it will be the holiday season and perhaps I can catch a part-time job for a few weeks, which would help me pay off my CC debt sooner.

Thanks again.
      BK 7 filed and discharged in 2004 after 30+ years of perfect credit. Life HAPPENS.

Comment

And so I paid $200 the first month.....

I scraped and paid $200 the first month toward the $2200 CC bill. And guess what happened? WAMU immediately raised my credit limit from $2500 to a whooping $9000!!! I guess WAMU feels that since I nearly maxed out my card and can't file BK again for years, they would try as hard as they can to get me into even more debt.

I keep the WAMU card at home, and won't use it anymore until my balance is paid in full.

But it's amazing, and also scary, to see how the CC companies operate........

Comment

I think you've done an awesome job at rebuilding your finances. I have ran your numbers below with differnt monthly payments.

Monthly Payment, Months to Payoff, Total Interest Paid
          $50, 57 months, $633.85
          $75, 35 months, $365.88
          $100, 25 months, $255.85
          $125, 20 months, $195.65
          $150, 15 months, $157.76

Also, if you take $1,000 out of your savings and pay $100 a month, it will take you 13 months to pay it off and you will pay $68.01 in total interest charges.

You have definitely proven that you have financial discipline, so I would suggest you do which ever one makes you feel the most comfortable.
          Good Luck
          Daniel
          (link deleted by moderator - prior permission required from forum administrator)
          Do you got what it takes to live a debt free life?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X