top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What have you done to see to it that this never happens again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built my spreadsheet myself. I continue to build onto it as I need to... the further I get into this, the more changes I see at times that need to be made.
    Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
    Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
    If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Never_Again View Post
      I built my spreadsheet myself. I continue to build onto it as I need to... the further I get into this, the more changes I see at times that need to be made.
      Okay, maybe you are a nerd - but at least you use your powers for good. Seriously, I'm really impressed! I love to use a well-designed spreadsheet, but although I can create a database-driven web site with Access, I just can't seem to really master Excel. Must use a different slice of brain...

Thanks a lot for starting this thread, though. It was beginning to scare me that almost nobody ever seemed to make the transition from the top forums to the "lifestyle adjustments". I hope it's just that everyone has learned their lesson and wants to move on and forget this part of their lives.
      Filed chapter 7: June 9, 2008
      341 meeting: July 18, 2008
      last day for objections: September 16, 2008
      DISCHARGED September 18, 2008 - CLOSED September 29, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by WoodSprite View Post
        Okay, maybe you are a nerd - but at least you use your powers for good. Seriously, I'm really impressed! I love to use a well-designed spreadsheet, but although I can create a database-driven web site with Access, I just can't seem to really master Excel. Must use a different slice of brain...

Thanks a lot for starting this thread, though. It was beginning to scare me that almost nobody ever seemed to make the transition from the top forums to the "lifestyle adjustments". I hope it's just that everyone has learned their lesson and wants to move on and forget this part of their lives.
        If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
          That is my worry, Sprite. Has everyone learned their lesson?
          I know exactly what you mean. Every time I see a new person's story with the casual aside "we filed ch7 in 2001", my heart sinks.

I really (REALLY!) don't want to get into politics here, but I just wish I could hear our leaders and potential leaders actually leading on this issue, and rather than trying to convince us that everything's okay, encouraging us to show some responsibility and restraint. Deep down I think many people envy the Americans & Brits of a few generations ago, who were asked to pull together and make sacrifices for the greater good - which made them feel they were actually a part of the effort, and doing something that mattered.

As JRScott pointed out in another thread:

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
          You can't debt your way out of debt. Every single one of us at this forum have learned that. It's time the government did as well.
          This isn't a political rant, it's a plea for civic responsibility. Wouldn't it be something if we could learn from the past - skip the Depression this time and just go straight from the giddy high times, to the crash, to industriousness and frugality? And then maybe our grandkids could go us one better and skip the crash, too...

Okay, NOW I'm dreaming.

Comment

Woodsprite, that was my feelings as well! There has to be an end to the cycle. If you have not dealt with those issues, you will cycle right back here again.

I find myself reading posts on here less and less. There are some great people on here, with much to give, but I can still see many who blame their problems on Chase, AMEX, the bank, The car companies, George W. Bush... you get the picture. It is just so discouraging! When I read a post about someone who wants to have a second child, and the first response is that there is plenty of help from the government if you need it. WTH??? Shouldn't you try to raise your family without the government? I can see help for those finding themselves in unfortunate circumstances, but not for those who plan to get themselves there?

I should answer them... "There is plenty of help from hard work and a second job if you need it!"

I don't mean to sound harsh, but really!

Another post about a story about someone living in his car and talking about the lack of a social safety net?

And yet another about sticking to those evil demons (or something like that) encouraging everyone that it was a great thing to not pay a credit card company?

And let's not forget countless posts on here asking, "How can I borrow more money quickly for a car?" Or, "My credit score has gone up 9 points, wow I am so excited! How can I increase my credit score some more?"

This is the way I see it... for me to do anything but make the best possible use of this reset button would be immoral, and for me to do everything I can not to end up here again would be almost criminal!

So, I am NOT tracking my FICO score. I am tracking my net worth, as I emerge from this. By careful planning, we plan to have a $20,000 emergency fund by this time next year. Then, I begin investing for retirement. Sure, I used to think that it was important to have a credit card, but not anymore. "What if you need to buy plane tickets?" Well, I have never had a problem buying them with a debit card. "What if you need to rent a hotel room?" Same answer. "What if you need to rent a car?" Well, I will transfer some of that emergency fund into my checking account, and it should have the same effect as a credit card. "Oh, but they will hold that money for 15 days!" Well, it is an emergency fund, and I probably won't need it for 15 days.

Someone once said that there was a difference between being broke and being poor. I think that I truly understand that now! We have all been broke on this board, but I will say that I have NEVER been poor! Broke is a lack of money, but poor is a state of mind!

I had to face the facts... nobody is going to change my situation for the better but me! I am thrilled that my future looks bright, and I understand that some have different circumstances, but I just want everyone to feel the freedom that I do!

At any rate, I will hang out for a while longer here, but I think that I am going to start a blog and try to encourage people as well. If I can do it, anyone can!
            Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
            Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
            If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Never_Again View Post
              This is the way I see it... for me to do anything but make the best possible use of this reset button would be immoral, and for me to do everything I can not to end up here again would be almost criminal!

Someone once said that there was a difference between being broke and being poor. I think that I truly understand that now! We have all been broke on this board, but I will say that I have NEVER been poor! Broke is a lack of money, but poor is a state of mind!

At any rate, I will hang out for a while longer here, but I think that I am going to start a blog and try to encourage people as well. If I can do it, anyone can!
              Wow...Never_Again, you took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously, I have been thinking for the last three weeks at least that I should put the energy I devote to this forum into a blog.

And then I think about how much hope this forum has given me, and the way I look forward to reading posts by Flamingo, and you, and PhillyManHere, and so many others, and I feel responsible for sticking around for those just beginning the process. And then I read my own posts and wonder if I sound preachy and holier-than-thou, and I go away for a few days. Then I come back and my heart goes out to some poor frightened newbie. <Sigh...>

Don't go yet, okay? And send me the URL of your blog if you get there before I do!

WS

Comment

I'm putting $10 a week into a savings account. I can touch it if I need it, but am trying to keep at least $100 in there. Not much, but it will keep me reaching for the credit card if I have an unexpected bill or expense. I knew my dog was due for shots and made sure I had at least $80 set aside for that, which is a big step for me compared to my past. I've cut way back on alchohol, fast food trips and late night pizza delivery, lottery tickets, movie rentals, and have been more careful about what I spend at the grocery store each week. I'm being even more diligent about shopping sales and using coupons than I have in the past. I have also taken on a roommate, not my favorite thing, but it's nice to have a little breathing room with the income I get from him in rent.
                I did treat myself to a new TV with my tax refund and I'm going to be able to take a short trip to Florida this summer to see my grandparents.
                With all of that said, I still have a strong desire to gamble, drink, order pizza, whatever. It's taken more discipline than I knew I had to manage money better. I fall off the wagon some, but I have to have SOME fun. It's been nice to be able to pay my bills and not be completely out of money before my next paycheck comes.
                Things are still tight, but I am living more comfortably now.
                Filed Chapter 7 4/29/08
                341 Survived 5/27/08
                Discharged 8/19/08
                Case Closed 9/08/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X