Car repairs. OUCH!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car repairs. OUCH!!

Today I found out the value of budgeting and savings. I'm filing Chapter 13, and already had my 341, with my confirmation hearing set for the middle of November.

Since I filed, I've made a concerted effort to watch spending and funnel something from each paycheck into a savings account. I took my car in to the shop this morning to get an oil change, and ended up with close to $2000 in repairs that needed to be done (car is 7 years old with close to 96K miles on it). Talked to the service manager, and they convinced me that $1100 of that needed to be done TODAY. I was able to talk them into a 10% discount, and I had the $1000 in savings, so I was able to pay cash. Prior to BK, I never would have been able to do that, I would have just charged it.

I also, reworked my budget today, and with some more scrimping, I should be able to replace that money in savings in 3-4 months.

This feels great!

Congrats on your wise saving plan! Just in time for emergencies like this

Can I ask, why did you go into a ch 13 repayment plan with a vehicle that probably won't make it through the 3-5 years bk? Usually attorneys recommend purchasing something that will last the duration of the repayment plan.
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

WAIT, WAIT, Brokeemfer: You said, you drove the car in…..for an oil change. Cost you 1K for a repair? Seven year old car?

Please, don’t let me take the wind out of your sails, as you had the money, etc, etc.

If you drove it in, you could drive it out. For a seven year old car, you could easily purchase another working car. Mrs. is driving a 92 Pontiac Grand Am that was an old police car we got at auction. 800 buck and that was too high. Put 200 into it and now three years driving perfectly.

Grats on the budget but start looking for a good used car. I don’t know what else they quoted you, but if it goes in, it goes out and get a second opinion. PLEASE. ‘Hub.

(Please, do not take this wrong. I have nothing but the best interest in you.)
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My attorney did recommend that I try to purchase a car before filing, but I couldn't secure financing. My best bet right now is to keep this beast afloat for as long as it will go. The engine and transmission are in great shape, I just had to replace two tie-rods (sp?) and a wheel bearing. According to the mechanic (whom I trust) it was unsafe to drive.

Maybe I got fleeced, I have no way to verify, but I use this car to transport my child, and the safety of the car is paramount.

The other $900 in repairs are things I may do down the road, and a couple of them I won't bother with (like the driver's door power lock).

I appreciate the thoughts and comments.

Comment

Originally posted by brokemfer View Post
          My attorney did recommend that I try to purchase a car before filing, but I couldn't secure financing. My best bet right now is to keep this beast afloat for as long as it will go. The engine and transmission are in great shape, I just had to replace two tie-rods (sp?) and a wheel bearing. According to the mechanic (whom I trust) it was unsafe to drive.

Maybe I got fleeced, I have no way to verify, but I use this car to transport my child, and the safety of the car is paramount.

The other $900 in repairs are things I may do down the road, and a couple of them I won't bother with (like the driver's door power lock).

I appreciate the thoughts and comments.
          Regardless, you did a great job in preparing/saving for an emergency such as this! Congrats!
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Tie-rods can be a problem. A broken tie-rod on a vehicle killed a cousin of mine in 1967.

As long as the mechanic is someone you trust and have done business with a good while, I am okay. Otherwise I would also hae gotten a second opinion. Good luck to you and your family.
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

As one in the automotive business, any steering/wheel related component is NOT something to mess with!

Not all shops are out to get people. Believe me, I understand my customers financial difficulties, and do my best to work around them. But I also tell people what they need to fix immediately. I am doing them no favors if not.

Good job on the emergency fund! And, your car will more than likely last the terms of the repayment. Less debt that you need!
              Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
              Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
              If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

i don't know what you drive but for the record i was quoted $600 to have that work done on my honda at the honda dealership (usually pricey). wheel bearings, tie rods, ball joints. of course because i'm cheap and have friends with car repair experience and tools, we did all but the pressing in of wheel bearings ourselves; cost about $300. i guess they got you for the 'emergency fix' though and hey - if you don't have the time, tools, and know how, that money was well spent. i am envious of your savings - good job!! i hope to get some built up here yet this fall...
                Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
                (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Originally posted by brokemfer View Post
                  My best bet right now is to keep this beast afloat for as long as it will go.
                  I just had to laugh when I read this part, but I do understand where you are coming from.
                  Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
                  Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Wow, I guess I am not used to paying for someone else to do our car repairs. new wheel bearings and new tie-rods recently replaced in my Jeep.
                    Total cost of parts: $150
                    Total cost of labor: Zippo

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X