Screwed up my checkbook...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed up my checkbook...

Sorry just need to vent. My wife and I share the responsibility of handling the finances, and we have one checkbook. I try and keep it balanced, rounding all amounts up, to make the math easier, and to tuck a little money away without realizing it. We do the same thing backwards with our paychecks. Usually amounts to about $150.00 a month saved, we never see. The big negative to this is, I cannot properly balance my checkbook, to see what I actually have extra. We never don't have transactions pending, and we don't write in the actually amounts. Well, we are going to change that, and here's why. I got the checkbook from my wife Saturday am, after not having it, for the last week. My wife had written in all her transactions, just like always. I open up the register, and starting doing the math, and I was shocked how well off we were a week from payday. I was proud of my wife for doing so well. So to celebrate, we finally broke down, and bought a new stove. Nothing fancy about $475.00 real simple gas range. Our electric one was about 35 years old, and only had one burner that worked and the oven didn't at all. Got home, and was looking over the checkbook, thinking, "well the next week will be a little tight, but that's ok, because we've done so so well." And then my jaw dropped. My wife had taken an entire page of transactions, and tucked them into the little flap on the register. We only do that, after we've balanced a page, and I hadn't accounted for it. $574.00 worth of transactions. We are pretty well screwed. Called sears and they won't take the range back. I can't be certain but I think we have enough extra to cover the extra transactions I hadn't figured in, but not the range. Something will have to give. Just when I thought we were getting some traction. Sorry had to vent.

I know others might disagree or call this controlling but...

My husband and I have 2 joint checking accounts. One has all the money and the other has around $20. My husband only uses the account with the low balance and only uses his check card, when he spends money, he tells me, I go online before midnight and transfer the funds. We only write about 5 checks a month, rent, loan payment, school lunches for 3 kids. All of the checks are written out of the "money" account. I check my balance daily and subtract whatever checks haven't cleared to know what my balance is. This has worked for us for the past 5 years, prior to that we had checks bouncing all over the place. Our bank always paid them but those fees will kill ya! We have an agreement that if my husband is going to spend more than $50, he will call me quick and see if it is doable.

It is just what works for us, it may not work for everyone.

Comment

I feel like my only hope is to take over the banking completely. An oversight like this, could cost us a fortune. We haven't overdrawn in 5 months, and the idea we might this week, really gets to me.

Comment

We found that too many hands in the pot really burned. I think that only one person should handle the finances. Not have total control but be the person in charge of paying the bills and knowing where the funds are at. The other person can play a part but they shouldn't go spend money without having a picture of what is available to spend.

Comment

One person in charge of the accounting details is a very good idea. In a couple, BOTH need to be involved in the management and planning details.
          Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
          Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
          If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Never_Again View Post
            One person in charge of the accounting details is a very good idea. In a couple, BOTH need to be involved in the management and planning details.
            Thanks, that is what my mind was trying to say last night but it was too late for me put it properly into words.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X