top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

returning to credit union incl in chap 7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

returning to credit union incl in chap 7?

hello all,

my chap 7 was discharged last week. Yay! Before filing, I was advised by my atty to move my bank account from the credit union I had been using to another bank, b/c a $1500 overdraft from the credit union was included in my chap 7. I detest my new bank (fees, fees, fees--a fee for using THEIR debit card at THEIR machines! for example!) and the credit union is really the best deal around, so I'd like to go back to them. my account at the credit union is still open--I didn't close it, just pulled the money from the checking account. Since they haven't closed my account, and the bk is over and done with, I should just be able to go back... don't you think? Or should I talk to them first?

thanks!

I won't hurt to talk to them. I am surprised that the account remained open.

We had an auto loan and an overdraft protection with our CU, and we had to reaffirm those in order to stay with our CU. ('Hub had joined when he first went to work more than 40 years ago, and wished to remain with them.) If we had not reaffirmed, our accounts would have been closed. But the people had been good to 'Hub over the years, and he had some good conversations with the people in the BK department,

Good luck to you
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thanks for the good wishes! I guess I'll just walk on in and talk to them. What a concept

Comment

Just an update in case the info may be useful to anyone else. The credit union took me back! I spoke with a manager and she said the collection notes on my overdraft account were still on there, but should have been removed b/c they knew the BK was complete. She was totally cool, offered to check on it and get back to me, called me back in a couple of days to confirm that the notes were removed, and I can use my account as normal.

Comment

I would be very wary! There are so many choices out there to risk putting money back into an account that included a discharge.

Just sayin'...

Comment

That is a cool story.

I bk'ed my CU ($500). Ive called 2-3x now, speaking to different managers, and they will NOT take me back until I pay the $500 back, and then the board has to vote if they will take me back or not - so theres a big possibility I pay back the $500 and they still say "go take a hike"

Anyhoo... Ive been banking at a NEW credit union... its not as conveniently located, not as big, 1/2 as many branches.. but they like me
            Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
            Discharged 4-17-09!!!
            Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
            "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

I've been wonderin about this too because I have been unable to get a checking account since a bank put me on telecheck.

Comment

Originally posted by BKInLA View Post
                I would be very wary! There are so many choices out there to risk putting money back into an account that included a discharge.

Just sayin'...
                I too would be alittle wary! I know this post is somewhat old but I just read it and thought I'd put my two cents in. I banked with a CU that I bk'ed two personal loans and checking account over draft fees that I think they started to pile on to prove some kind of point! My atty. said that CUs can cross collateral there accounts and I should stop putting money in that check acct. I just stopped my direct deposit and got paper checks and used cash and money orders, what a pain. The CU stopped all comuacation after I filed, so I was never told if the account was closed or is still"open" but I would never go back to them again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X