Homemade Laundry Detergent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Laundry Detergent

There are many recipes available online, but this is the one I use. I was VERY skeptical at first, but I wouldn't go back to regular laundry soap now.

Ingredients:
    1 bar Fels-Naptha, Zote, or Ivory soap (I prefer the Fels-Naptha, but I've used Ivory, too.)
    1 cup Borax
    1 cup Washing Soda (Arm and Hammer, NOT BAKING SODA)
    1/2 cup blue DAWN liquid dish soap (optional, but I ALWAYS use it)
    I buy all the ingredients at Walmart or Winco.

Supplies:
    1 stock pot (like for a big pot of soup)
    1 5-gallon bucket
    6 100 oz laundry soap bottles (I saved my old ones for a month before I made my first batch.)

Instructions: (THIS ONLY TAKES ABOUT 30 MINUTES TOTAL)
    1.) Use a cheese shredder and shred the bar of soap into the stock pot.
    2.) Add HOT water to the pot to fill it half-way.
    3.) Heat the soap/water mixture on MEDIUM HEAT until the soap melts. Stir it every few minutes. This usually takes about 10 minutes or so.
    4.) Once the soap is melted, add 1 cup of Borax, 1 cup of Washing Soda, and 1/2 cup of Dawn Liquid Dish Soap. Continue stirring it all together for a few minutes over medium heat until everything is dissolved.
    5.) Pour the pot of soap into the 5-gallon bucket and add hot water to the 5-gallon line (or just below the top if you're using an "exactly 5-gallon" bucket).
    6.) Let it cool for a couple of hours. Maybe stir it once or twice, if you're around the house while it's cooling. I often leave it for the day.
    7.) When it is cool, stir it once, and then USE A FUNNEL AND A PITCHER to fill the 6 containers with the soap. I usually have a family member hold the funnel over the container in the kitchen sink while I fill it. This part can be a little messy, but it takes all of about 10 minutes to do.
    8.) Wipe the containers off and store them somewhere until you need them. Use about 1/2 cup of soap (one capful, generally) per load.

TIPS:
    1.) Put two marbles in each of the containers with the soap, and shake the bottle a little before you use it each time. The soap can "gel" sometimes. If it's "clumpy," that's okay, just shake it up. It works the same.

2.) Add a few drops of essential oils before you put it in the containers, and you can have whatever lovely smell you prefer. This adds to the cost, though.

3.) Use vinegar instead of fabric softener. It works just as well, removes odors, cleans your washing machine, and won't clog your pipes. Oh, and it's a LOT cheaper!
    --------------------------------------------
    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

i'm going to TRY this...yes, i really think walmart is by far the very best place to purchase household cleaning products...NOT that i'm like an expert on cleaning...YIKES no...i wish i was.

now....you can use like jasmine or some type of nice smelly oil if you want it to smell nice??? i prefer smelling like a peach or apple..myself..LOL!!!!!!

does it clean as well really??? because it really doesn't seem to take much work to do it at all!

thanks so much! i printed it out so i don't lose it!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

I know several people who do this with fantastic results. I will be trying it once I move.

Comment

well this is such a GREAT money saving tip....especially for families that have children and do loads and loads of laundry...
        8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

okay, but in reality, is it cheaper.

I am all for frugal living and I enjoy the challenge to some degree. But how much moneys is really being saved and is it worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            okay, but in reality, is it cheaper.

I am all for frugal living and I enjoy the challenge to some degree. But how much moneys is really being saved and is it worth it?

i suppose we need to figure out exactly how many loads come from one recipe...to actually test how much money one really saves.

i do know i can make one chicken last for at least 6 dinners for 4 people and then some. with an average cost, provided you purchased the whole chicken on sale for $.99 a pound, based on a 3 lb chicken costing approx. $1.25 per meal per person!

Comment

Wantmypeace

Saw your reply in the other thread, figured I'd reply here Yes, I know about making homemade laundry detergent - tried it once and didnt like it unfortunately. I have very sensitive skin and something in the homemade irritates me beyond measure - think maybe its the Fels Naptha or Borax. Very drying.

I think the number one way to save $ on laundry...is to air dry your clothes outside when you can. Even if you can only get them halfway dry and have to use your dryer, is a money saver no matter what. We've been saving up for the HE washer and dryer so that it cuts back even more on water usage (well water here) and electricity. Bonus...I can still buy my Gain ;)

Thanks for posting the recipe!

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                Wantmypeace

Saw your reply in the other thread, figured I'd reply here Yes, I know about making homemade laundry detergent - tried it once and didnt like it unfortunately. I have very sensitive skin and something in the homemade irritates me beyond measure - think maybe its the Fels Naptha or Borax. Very drying.

I think the number one way to save $ on laundry...is to air dry your clothes outside when you can. Even if you can only get them halfway dry and have to use your dryer, is a money saver no matter what. We've been saving up for the HE washer and dryer so that it cuts back even more on water usage (well water here) and electricity. Bonus...I can still buy my Gain ;)

Thanks for posting the recipe!
                well...actually pandora, i was also hoping you'd donate a chicken for dinner.....if you can get one of yours up to 3lbs i can make 24 meals...(JUST KIDDING I KNOW YOU LOVE YOU little CHICKENS!!)...pass an egg please!

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                  well...actually pandora, i was also hoping you'd donate a chicken for dinner.....if you can get one of yours up to 3lbs i can make 24 meals...(JUST KIDDING I KNOW YOU LOVE YOU little CHICKENS!!)...pass an egg please!
                  *thwacks you upside the head* I outta wash your mouth out with Fels Naptha for even thinking that young lady!

*Gasp* The horror! (as I look outside at my girlies running around like mini dinosaurs) Shush Tobee... :P

Comment

This is how I figure the money savings. I was paying 10 to 14 dollars for a 100 oz bottle of laundry soap, and I went through 6 of them per month. That's 60-76 dollars/month on laundry soap. For this recipe, which fills 6 100 oz bottles, I spend 1.50-ish on a bar of Fels-Naptha, 2.50 on a box or Borax (but you only need 1 cup for a recipe, so maybe 30 cents??), 2.00 for a box of Washing Soda (again, you only need 1 cup for a recipe, so maybe 25 cents), and 1.50 for a bottle of DAWN (using 1/2 cup, so maybe 25 cents). All told, I'm estimating it costs about 2.30 for 6 bottles of laundry soap that used to cost me 60-76 dollars/month. Depending where you live and shop, it may be a dollar or two higher, but even if you pay 5.00 for a recipe, you're still saving a LOT of money every month. Adding essential oils would add a little cost, but still not much.

As far as how it works: We have REALLY hard water, so this recipe has been especially good for us because nothing seemed to break up the hard water well enough to clean our clothes well before. The ingredients in this recipe do a great job of that. I *have* had stains that did not come back and took a second wash or stain treatment, but I had that with Tide, Cheer, and Gain (my three fav's before this recipe). One of the big pluses to this recipe is that there is NO ODOR at all when the clothes come out. They don't smell like detergent, and they don't smell like dirt, either. They are simply clean. I have been using it for over six months now, and I won't go back.

The only downside I have found is that the texture can be inconsistent. This seems to be related to which type of bar soap I use. Fels-Naptha seems to make it the thickest, and Ivory seems to make it the thinnest. I am not "exact" on the Borax and Washing Soda, either, so that probably affects it.
                    As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                      *thwacks you upside the head* I outta wash your mouth out with Fels Naptha for even thinking that young lady!

*Gasp* The horror! (as I look outside at my girlies running around like mini dinosaurs) Shush Tobee... :P
                      ROFL!!!! really you are requiring me to run....you are too funny!!!!!!! what is fels naphtha anyway??? i have really...tears rolling down my face at this point!!!

Comment

Pandora, I'll bet it was the Fels-Naptha. It's pretty strong soap! My hands are always dry after making the laundry soap. I use vinegar in my rinse cycle, though, and everything gets rinsed out of my clothes. That might make a difference for you? I know it isn't for everyone, though.

Disclaimer, everyone: I got this recipe from the Dave Ramsey site. I can't wait until I can afford to renew my membership. The forums over there are SO FULL of wonderful, helpful financial savings information. If you can afford to join, it is REALLY, REALLY worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Wantmypeace View Post
                          This is how I figure the money savings. I was paying 10 to 14 dollars for a 100 oz bottle of laundry soap, and I went through 6 of them per month. That's 60-76 dollars/month on laundry soap. For this recipe, which fills 6 100 oz bottles, I spend 1.50-ish on a bar of Fels-Naptha, 2.50 on a box or Borax (but you only need 1 cup for a recipe, so maybe 30 cents??), 2.00 for a box of Washing Soda (again, you only need 1 cup for a recipe, so maybe 25 cents), and 1.50 for a bottle of DAWN (using 1/2 cup, so maybe 25 cents). All told, I'm estimating it costs about 2.30 for 6 bottles of laundry soap that used to cost me 60-76 dollars/month. Depending where you live and shop, it may be a dollar or two higher, but even if you pay 5.00 for a recipe, you're still saving a LOT of money every month. Adding essential oils would add a little cost, but still not much.

As far as how it works: We have REALLY hard water, so this recipe has been especially good for us because nothing seemed to break up the hard water well enough to clean our clothes well before. The ingredients in this recipe do a great job of that. I *have* had stains that did not come back and took a second wash or stain treatment, but I had that with Tide, Cheer, and Gain (my three fav's before this recipe). One of the big pluses to this recipe is that there is NO ODOR at all when the clothes come out. They don't smell like detergent, and they don't smell like dirt, either. They are simply clean. I have been using it for over six months now, and I won't go back.

The only downside I have found is that the texture can be inconsistent. This seems to be related to which type of bar soap I use. Fels-Naptha seems to make it the thickest, and Ivory seems to make it the thinnest. I am not "exact" on the Borax and Washing Soda, either, so that probably affects it.
                          i actually would think that by changing the ingredients it would change the texture..... so actually if you want to stretch it ...ivory would be best....as i have absolutely NO idea what fels-haptha is...although i have searched the files of my mind and i must honestly say...i have never heard of it.

ok...so based on using this...what would or could you break it down a cost per load??

Comment

tobee--FelsNaptha is an old-fashion soap brand. It is usually with the laundry detergents, not the body soaps. It is definitely not the kind of soap you want to use for your shower! LOL! Anyway, I see it at Walmart sometimes, but I can ALWAYS find it at Winco. Here's a link to what it looks like: http://tiny.cc/071bf

Comment

Want -

Yeah, tried the vinegar trick too - still didnt like it.

I do know that Fels Naptha is GREAT at getting poison ivy / poison oak to go away and dry out faster than anything else on the market. Just rub it on and leave it there.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X