Perkstreet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perkstreet

Does anyone have an account at perk street financial? My local bank was bought wand I'm goIng to change banks and thought this might be a good place to earn cash rewards.

Logan

I found the comments in this article about Perkstreet to be interesting:

Earn more on your money with rewards checking accounts like Chase Total Checking, TD Bank Beyond Checking, and M1 Spend.
    Filed No Asset Chp 7 BK: January 2010
    Discharged: August 2010
    A life lesson well learned.

Comment

Originally posted by iswmle View Post
      I found the comments in this article about Perkstreet to be interesting:

http://www.moneycrashers.com/perk-st...mselves-apart/
      I read the comments and while some of the comments are valid they're just stupid comments or they don't know the workaround. Example, 1 person was complaining about a research fee--that's pretty standard for a checking account. Another guy was complaining about a $1500 limit for charges. Again, that is standard for a debit card especially a new one. How many people charge $1500 in one day on a debit card anyways? The limit to transfer in and out seems like a pain but there are ways around that. I've moved 26+ times in 20 years so I've had non-local banks forever and I have a couple of bank accounts that I use to transfer the money around in cases like this. My current checking account has no ability to transfer in or out so I must use another institution to move the money around.

I signed up for an account. I'm not sure I will keep it open yet as I have found some other interesting options to earn cash rewards and points. I'll post more about them later when I have time. There are some cool ways to save money for some that are interested.

Logan

Comment

Logan, I'll be interested to hear what you think and what other options you find. I have an online savings account, and a checking and savings at a local bank. While I like my bank it's average as banks go for rewards and interest rates. Thanks for sharing!
        A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

I have had a Perkstreet Checking account for a few months now. I have already redeemed points for one $25 gift card, and I'm about to redeem more for $50. The thing that I do is transfer 1500 into the account at the first of the month when I get paid. Then, I use the debit card (always as "credit" so I get points) for things I would have used it for anyway (like groceries and gas). It does require me to do bookkeeping for two checking accounts, and I'm currently trying to decide if it is worth it. An example of a problem: I miscalculated by 2.00 and had a "returned debit fee" for 23.00. That's half of what I've earned over the past two months. So, not sure the extra bookkeeping is worth it if I can't keep my numbers straight. There are no hidden fees or tricks or anything like that, and their service has been great.
          --------------------------------------------
          As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I forgot to mention... If it is points you want I work on the cc side of USAA, and I have had a few members mention something about receiving points for using their debit cards. From my understanding it works in basically the same way the USAA Rewards CC works, which you can turn your points in for the cash rebates, gift cards, airline discounts, etc etc.

Comment

I forgot to mention... If it is points you want I work on the cc side of USAA, and I have had a few members mention something about receiving points for using their debit cards. From my understanding it works in basically the same way the USAA Rewards CC works, which you can turn your points in for the cash rebates, gift cards, airline discounts, etc etc.
              I have a USAA CC and get 1.25% cash back. Perkstreet has 2% cash rewards or other rewards program. I like the cash rewards. USAA is excellent but you must spend 17K a year to tier up to the 1.25% (which I do). USAA also credits your credit card in January for the previous years rewards.
              With Perkstreet you can redeem at anytime in the for of a Mastercard Credit card.

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by Wantmypeace View Post
                I have had a Perkstreet Checking account for a few months now. I have already redeemed points for one $25 gift card, and I'm about to redeem more for $50. The thing that I do is transfer 1500 into the account at the first of the month when I get paid. Then, I use the debit card (always as "credit" so I get points) for things I would have used it for anyway (like groceries and gas). It does require me to do bookkeeping for two checking accounts, and I'm currently trying to decide if it is worth it. An example of a problem: I miscalculated by 2.00 and had a "returned debit fee" for 23.00. That's half of what I've earned over the past two months. So, not sure the extra bookkeeping is worth it if I can't keep my numbers straight. There are no hidden fees or tricks or anything like that, and their service has been great.
                Wantmypeace, have you ever used Mint.com? It is a great tool to help watch your balances. Also, Perkstreet is planning an APP this fall which could help with preventing an over-draft of your account in the future. I intend on having over 5K to take advantage of the 2%. So far the account has been open for about 2 weeks and I'm mostly happy. I believe that my biggest complaints are being worked on for the future and right now I'm leaning towards using Perkstreet as my primary checking.

Just a little history--I've been using a USAA CC that gets me 1.25% a year and my checking account has earned me 3+% APY. These accounts are called rewards checking and earn a decent interest rate if you meet certain terms. I have been using a rewards checking account for many years but I always find that they lower the interest rate on me so I switch banks to chase the higher interest. My current bank was at 4% and dropped to 3% but since it is a bank that is almost local (45 minute drive and I pass by it once a week) and the fact that I'm tired of changing banks I decided I would just stick with them. Unfortunately my bank was bought and I'm certain the rewards checking will be gone. This is where Perkstreet comes in--I can stop using my credit cards and just use a debit card and have only 1 account for everything.
                Also, remember that the rewards are tax free.

Logan

Comment

I was talking about the USAA Rewards, not the USAA Tiered Cash rewards (the program you have). The 4 Star checking account is not affiliated with the tiered cash program, but their rewards (point system) program.

With the USAA Rewards you can also redeem at anytime for cash rebates, airline discounts, gift cards, plus we're affiliated with a gazillion stores who you can shop on the membershop mall and get double points and extra discounts (like itunes, Barnes&Noble, etc) blahblah... ugh, I'm going to stop now, suddenly feel like I am at work.
                  Last edited by iswmle; 05-12-2011, 07:02 PM.

Comment

I was talking about the USAA Rewards, not the USAA Tiered Cash rewards (the program you have). The 4 Star checking account is not affiliated with the tiered cash program, but their rewards (point system) program.

With the USAA Rewards you can also redeem at anytime for cash rebates, airline discounts, gift cards, plus we're affiliated with a gazillion stores who you can shop on the membershop mall and get double points and extra discounts (like itunes, Barnes&Noble, etc) blahblah... ugh, I'm going to stop now, suddenly feel like I am at work.
                    That's good to know. USAA won't let me have a checking account because I bk'd them. I have used the membershop with the USAA credit card but that is not a unique feature. I use other sites that give the same kind of discounts.

Logan

Comment

iswmle, I just checked the USAA rewards and compared the cash rewards part. It doesn't even come close to the 2% Perkstreet is offering and I have yet to find better than 2% cash rewards. There are CC's that will offer more than 2% for certain purchases like PENFED offering 5% on gas but then 1% on everything else.
                      There are no points for travel on Perkstreet so if it's points you're looking for to travel then there are better cards.

Logan

Comment

Let us know if you continue to like Perkstreet! I am at a point in my banking where I am sick of moving things around and want to stick around and be a loyal customer to one bank... unfortunately right now my main bank is Bank of America. I have just recently gotten to the point where I am comfortable with electronic payments and statements, but I'm still not yet willing to cross over to a bank that does not have branches.

Perkstreet does sound tempting, and their rewards program sounds a whole lot more appealing than my Keep The Change.

Comment

I've decided to make the switch. I'll give you a summary of how everything worked for me when
                          i have more time but I'm earning cash rewards and everything has been pretty smooth.
                          I recommend Perkstreet Financial
                          Logan

Comment

Yes, indeed, let us know how it goes! My SO is looking into getting a new checking account. Right now he is leaning on USAA because he just got approved for one of their credit cards and I'm always talking them up. I did end up asking someone in Deposits how the rewards specifically works with the checking account and he basically told me the program is kind of convoluted and needs some improvement. I'm with B of A, and am only with them because I have been for years and am too lazy to switch, but I know there are better financial institutions out there.

Comment

Yes, indeed, let us know how it goes! My SO is looking into getting a new checking account. Right now he is leaning on USAA because he just got approved for one of their credit cards and I'm always talking them up. I did end up asking someone in Deposits how the rewards specifically works with the checking account and he basically told me the program is kind of convoluted and needs some improvement. I'm with B of A, and am only with them because I have been for years and am too lazy to switch, but I know there are better financial institutions out there.
                              Perkstreet is definitely all about the rewards. Customer service seems good and everything has been smooth but they are not USAA. If your going to have 5k in the account at all times to take advantage of the 2% then definitely open account there, if not then I would use the USAA cash rewards credit card and open a USAA checking account.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X