Grow Your Own Catnip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow Your Own Catnip

It's easy to grow and apparently it's not just for kitty. People can drink it too. It has sedative effects and is cheaper than wine.

Copied from a CNN article:

"Catnip also can be used for tea. The presence of a chemical called nepetalactone produces sedative-like affects in humans, making catnip a popular home remedy for headaches as well as insomnia.

To make catnip tea, add one teaspoon of dried catnip leaves or three to four teaspoons of fresh catnip leaves to a mug of boiling water and let it steep."

Full article here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/04/30...ex.html?hpt=C2
    There are two secrets for success in life:
    1.) Never tell everything you know.

I didn't know about the effects catnip has on humans.

A tip for growing it: If you have cats in your yard, build a chicken wire cage over it so it has a chance to get a good start before the kitties start nibbling on it. Just a few inches off the ground will do.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Catnip tea sounds purr-fectly delightful!!!

:groan: Awww, I couldn't resist!
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

LOL. I was thinking of you and the other cat people here on the forum when I saw the news article. Funny how bkforum spreads into other parts of life.

Comment

Originally posted by debee View Post
          LOL. I was thinking of you and the other cat people here on the forum when I saw the news article. Funny how bkforum spreads into other parts of life.
          LOL! I agree. I have found myself thinking of you when I see "The Donald" in the news - then I imagine him without hair, with Drew Carey glasses and with the Snidely Whiplash mustache and then I just giggle out loud.
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~

Comment

I always think of tobee43 when I see Grey Goose stacked up at Costco. Also, my littlest kid likes to pretend to be a dog. He stuffed a man's black dress sock with other socks, tied off the end and he carries it around in his mouth and growls. He calls it "catleg" and says he bit it off a cat (without hurting the cat). So it ends up getting left on the couch or in the hall and then he's running around calling out, "Where's catleg?" Cracks me up because I envision catleg's avatar.

Comment

Catnip is very easy to grow, and smells nice, too. And it agressively re-seeds itself, like a weed, but a nice one.
              The world's simplest C & D Letter:
              "I demand that you cease and desist from any communication with me."
              Notice that I never actually mention or acknowledge the debt in my letter.

Comment

Ok, my experience. I do drink "catnip" tea. It is very light - like a green tea - with a pleasant aroma. Does it have a sedative or calming effect. . . not that I can tell. But. . .

I've never tired to smoke it. . .

Des.

Comment

LOL@ Des!
                  LadyInTheRed is in the black!
                  Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
                  $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

I have catnip at home...I will use it...a lot - seriously.

Comment

I miss debee...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X