Budgeting Changes that have helped me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budgeting Changes that have helped me

I thought I would post a couple things that have really helped with my budgeting during this process, so that it doesn't occur again. Feel free to use them.

1. Realize weaknesses: I Threw away all offers of credit the minute they came in the mail, and I will continue to do so. Some people can pay off a credit card balance every month and can handle that. Some people cannot and I fall into that category. Realize your weaknesses and avoid them, even when people tell you how important it is to rebuild credit. Don't go shopping without a list.

2. The Jones's are over: Keeping up with the Jones's is so "last season". There will always be people that have more money than you. Get used to it. You have more than a lot of people. Live within your means.

3. Cash Only: This is the number one thing that has helped me. I highly suggest you try this. Every time I am paid, I keep only enough for bills in my account. Everything else, with the exception of gas, is withdrawn. It helps me stay in line and I am more careful, knowing that if I use my debit card, I will be short on my housing/gas expenses. It's also nice not having to balance your checkbook every day and then realizing you forgot to account for 5 debit transactions and now have to figure out how to have enough to pay the electric bill. I do make sure I get receipts and still track cash as much as possible in my budgeting software. I recommend the envelope system ("Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey is a fantastic book and the envelope system is the primary tool he uses). Trust me, cash makes you very careful. I've gotten to the register and literally made it by the skin of my teeth. I make better choices and stay within my budget just to avoid the embarrassment of putting crap back.

4. A good budgeting software: I use YNAB (I could go on and on about how much I love it!) You can download a free trial version and there is a lot of personal support. It's a great company and you have a budgeting sheet and account registers all in one place. You also have the ability to run reports. In the early months of your budget, you will be able to see if your numbers are realistic. Food for example is a big one for me. I was budgeting far too little and so I had to increase that budget and cut elsewhere.
    Jen
    "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Thank you for the YNAB suggestion! It looks like a very useful little tool!
    Any opinion expressed is based on personal experience and/or research. i.e.

Comment

I had to get used to it, but I emailed support and they extended my free-trial without a problem. If you go to the site, there are a ton of classes and a blog that helps, too. I use that with Dave Ramsey's system and it works really well for me.
      Jen
      "...and how is it that bankruptcy is considered an "easy" way out by some???"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X