Student Loans on Credit Report While Awaiting Discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans on Credit Report While Awaiting Discharge

I filed for Chapter 7 (pro se) and am currently awaiting discharge. I see on my credit report that my student loans say they have been "closed" and are "derogatory". I have paid them throughout the BK and I was up to date before filing. Will this status be changed after my discharge and why does it say that?

While your student loans are not discharged (or what they call dischargeable) they are often reported as closed and "included in bankruptcy". This is really an incorrect status. After you are discharged, you can try to dispute it or work directly with the student loan creditor to request (or demand) that they reflect the actual status.

I still have one federal student loan left, but my status reads "deferment". I think that a status which reads "deferred" would be a valid status during a bankruptcy.
    Last edited by justbroke; 10-03-2016, 02:58 PM.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks! I know- I'm irritated with the "derogatory" notation. I did call them and the rep said she had never heard of it showing like that. She had me send a screenshot and they are going to research it for me.

Comment

I hope that it works out for you!
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So, they got back with me and said they what they are reporting to the credit bureaus is that they are open and current, with a bankruptcy forbearance. I will need to contact TU to dispute it if I want it changed. I feel like I want to wait until the discharge and see how it appears then. It should be any day now.... my 60 days was up on September 20 but it looks like my district is sloooowww to process these.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X