top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do preferred creditor rules apply to cosigned private/alternative student loans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do preferred creditor rules apply to cosigned private/alternative student loans?

I've been considering filing for Chapter 7 and doing research into what's involved over the last few months. I have a question about private student loans and how making payments on them prior to filing relates to preferred creditor rules. I have private loans through Sallie Mae on which my aunt is cosigned. We've been making the monthly payments since October 2008. Since student loans are not dischargeable except in extreme circumstances and there is a cosigner involved, I'm wondering if I have to worry about the bankruptcy court considering Sallie Mae a preferred creditor. This is about the only complication to my case that I can think of. Other than that, it would be a simple no asset Chapter 7 case.

Also, from reading other threads in this forum, I know I can expect Sallie Mae to lock me out of online access while my bankruptcy case is open. Would my aunt, as the cosigner, still be able to make payments?

Thanks for any input.
    I may be a deadbeat, but at least I'm no debt collector.

Nope, not preference issue.

At most, there will be a 90 day look back (not the 1 year for insiders), but if you are making the normal payments, no issue.

Comment

because they are non dischargeable- there will be no issue with payments made.

Originally posted by Damian80 View Post
      I've been considering filing for Chapter 7 and doing research into what's involved over the last few months. I have a question about private student loans and how making payments on them prior to filing relates to preferred creditor rules. I have private loans through Sallie Mae on which my aunt is cosigned. We've been making the monthly payments since October 2008. Since student loans are not dischargeable except in extreme circumstances and there is a cosigner involved, I'm wondering if I have to worry about the bankruptcy court considering Sallie Mae a preferred creditor. This is about the only complication to my case that I can think of. Other than that, it would be a simple no asset Chapter 7 case.

Also, from reading other threads in this forum, I know I can expect Sallie Mae to lock me out of online access while my bankruptcy case is open. Would my aunt, as the cosigner, still be able to make payments?

Thanks for any input.
      Filed Pro Se: 10/16/2009
      341 Scheduled: 11/23/2009
      Last Day for Objections: 1/22/2010
      Discharged: 1/28/2010

Comment

Thanks for the quick response guys. It's a relief to know that.

And jribe, good luck on Monday. Let us know how it goes.
        I may be a deadbeat, but at least I'm no debt collector.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X