Student Loans Discharged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loans Discharged?

We just received notice that our case was discharged and closed but we are a little confused? Now we know that "MOST" student loans are non dischargable could ours possibly been discharged? We decided to look up our credit report last week to get started on the cleaning up process and on both of our credit reports our Sallie Mae Student loans are showing NO balance and it says included or discharged in bakruptcy? Im not sure how everyone else student loans showed on their credit reports but can we call or something or do we just wait for a bill? One extra loan I received I did receive a letter in the mail yesterday saying account was nondischargable but will Sallie Mae send something? Thanks!!

No chance...unless you filed an Adversary Proceeding, student loans are not discharged.
    There is no accidental discharge of student loans, sorry. Keep in mind, your credit report is not actually a legal document that shows the "legal" status of your debts. Basically, what SM is doing is screwing you over a little bit. The student loans are non-dischargeable, but because of the BK, they will not report the payment history.

Not sure if SM will send something, but you should probably be proactive about it and get in touch with them and stabilize the account.

Comment

Nope. Not discharged. My situation was similar. I discharged my other debt via Chapter 7 bk less than a year ago. My credit reports say that the student loan debt was "included in bankruptcy." But federal law excludes student loans from being discharged in bankruptcy. Sallie Mae was one of my lenders and they started sending me stuff shortly after the discharge. Another private lender with whom I have a crapload of student loan debt decided to let me default during bk, instead of putting me into forbearance until the bk was over, and then started making collection calls afterward asking for the whole amount. I've ignored those for almost a year and no lawsuit yet. Even the calls are pretty half-hearted actually. My theory is that they don't want to bother with suing somebody who's recently bankrupt because they figure there's not much to take. Anyway, if you don't hear from SM soon, you may want to contact them. But you'll probably hear from them.

Comment

Old thread, and I'm in the same boat. Sallie mae statement just popped up, but I'm curious, did the TL every show correctly again??

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X