Private student loan lenders for the bankrupt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private student loan lenders for the bankrupt

Has anyone applied for a private student loan after bankruptcy? Were you successful? If so, can you say who granted the loan?

I'm trying to figure out if I can find a viable private lender for a small loan of a few thousand. Capital One isn't giving any kind of loans but mortgage and auto now, apparently. I can't get information on the lending policies for another large lender and I don't want to willy-nilly make applications that will only hurt my credit.

I'm thinking of looking for a credit union that allows public members to join if they give private student loans. I might also see about trying to get a Capital One credit card if it might have a high enough limit to be of help.

Any information about avenues to get private student loans after bankruptcy?

Thanks.
    11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
    08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
    09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Applying for credit, when done within a narrow period of time does not affect your credit.

As for specifics, there are many players in private student loans. Generally, a BK has little affect on the ability to get a student loan.

All you can really do is apply and see what happens, the affect on your credit will be marginal at worst.

Comment

Thanks HHM. I feel encouraged with just that information. I'll see if I can search around and find other private lender names besides Chase and Capitol One. Capitol One is a non-op for student loans these days apparently, and I'm kind of timid about applying to Chase for some odd reason.
      09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

Wells Fargo has one as does Sallie Mae.

Comment

Well, I've now applied to Wells Fargo and Sallie Mae plus two others for a private student loan and have been flatly turned down each time. I went ahead and applied to Capitol One for a credit card to see if I might get a high enough limit to be able to use it to help fund my prerequisite classes. I had an account with them years before, paid it off and closed it by my own request so perhaps they'll consider giving me a limit that might be be useful.

If anyone knows of a private lender with a history of giving smallish loans without consigners, please let me know. I'm not sure how many more I'm willing to apply for without having some inkling that I might have a chance. Again, the issue is that I'm not in an academic program yet so don't qualify for federal loans at this time. The program I want to enter requires these courses to be taken before admission.

Thanks.
          09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

Have you gone through your school's financial aid department. Normally they will be able to get you a student loan, even with a BK on your record. My student loans are through Direct Loan.
            Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
            341 meeting on 5/28/2010
            Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, Exployer1234 but I'm looking for a private loan specifically because I am just doing a few classes that I have to take to get into a program. I am not yet admitted to a program that will qualify me for federal student loans. These are credit classes in continuing or extended education -- it's different than being in a degree program and, so far as I know, funding is pretty much limited to private loans.
              09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

I see. It wouldn't hurt to ask the financial aid office to see if any grants are available. I always say questions are free. Good luck on your search.
                Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
                341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

That was where my research started, thanks.

Again, if anyone has already been through this and knows of the names of private lenders who make room for the bankrupt in their academic lending, please let me know.

Thanks.
                  09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X