No announcement yet.

Private student loans & Ch 7 - Read this before you file if you have a cosigner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private student loans & Ch 7 - Read this before you file if you have a cosigner

I had a private student loan with KeyBank which went into chargeoff due to chap 7. Neither I or my cosigner was notified before chargeoff and they would not under any circumstances allow me or her to rectify the situation - even though I was told by them I was in a bankruptcy stay. After MONTHS of trying to find out why this happened, I received a letter today with the explanation. From the report generated by KeyBank concerning my complaint to the OCC about the problem:
    "However, had you listed the cosigner on the loan, [name of cosigner], as codebtor on your bankruptcy schedule for the loan, they would have been notified by this office (KeyBank) concerning their obligation to repay the loan before it was charged off."

I don't know if this is an isolated case but make sure your bk lawyer knows something about private student loans before you file.

Yes, you should always property place Co-Debtors on Schedule H! I'm sure that people forget often, but the attorney only knows what you tell them.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

He was informed, and just plain failed to do it.

Comment

Wow. Sorry to read that. I'm starting to read about attorneys "forgetting" to schedule things, all too often now.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

After reading that again, I think I misunderstood the meaning. I thought it meant that the co-signer would have been notified of pending default, but upon further research, I concluded that it actually meant that my cosigner would have been notified of my ch 7 - which doesn't matter at all since they knew already and the same outcome would have taken place. Unfortunately.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X