One private loan with sallie mae

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One private loan with sallie mae

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I filed ch7 on the 8th of this month. I have 55k in student loans. I understand they're non dischargable. One of the loans for 7000 is a private loan. My fed loans are currently in forbearance. The private one is on graduated repayment and I pay 50 a month, never missed a payment.

My question is: will my filing cause automatic default on the private loan? I called sallie mad because my online access is revoked and they were reluctant to talk because of the automatic stay. Thanks for any advice.

It might. It might not. With private loans, one never knows. Only SM can tell you that, and if you talk to a low level rep, even they may get it wrong. You'll find out after your bk is concluded. Since you've already filed, there's really no point in worrying about it right now. They'll either default you or they won't, and the decision is entirely up to them.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithDoxen View Post
      It might. It might not. With private loans, one never knows. Only SM can tell you that, and if you talk to a low level rep, even they may get it wrong. You'll find out after your bk is concluded. Since you've already filed, there's really no point in worrying about it right now. They'll either default you or they won't, and the decision is entirely up to them.
      But will a default on a private loan preclude me from getting government student loans going forward? I am going back to grad school in September, so this is an important fact that I overlooked.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X