top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

private loan reporting me delinquent even though paying on time???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

private loan reporting me delinquent even though paying on time???

I have loans with Sallie Mae and another private lender. My Ch 13 discharge was granted in May/June 2011. In April-May I began the process of contacting the lenders to set up payment plans so I could begin repayment as soon as I was discharged. Payments have been taken out on time every month since the beginning of June 2011, right before I received my discharge papers.

I recently checked my credit report and while all the Sallie Mae reporting shows me being on time, the agency that the private lender reports to (Transunion) is showing me delinquent on that loan since April 2011.

First I called the lender's billing agency because they have been sending me bills saying I'm seriously past due on the loan, even though all the payments have been made on time. I explained to them that I had set up a payment plan w/the lender and they said I needed to have the lender send them that info. I also mentioned the marks on my report and they said, again, that was the lender's responsibility.

So, I called the lender next. They told me that since it is an old loan it will show delinquent on my report. I said "how can this be when I've been paying you on time every time, and why are you marking my report 1 month before I was discharged from my bk?" She said that is the billing agencies doing.

So now this has me thinking - 1) can they post red marks to my credit report before I was officially discharged? and 2) can they show me as being late because it is an "old loan" even though I'm making the full payment every month on time?

And while I was in my bk, all of my payments were made to the trustee in the correct amount and on time.

Have you actually tried just disputing it with TransUnion?
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
      Have you actually tried just disputing it with TransUnion?
      I thought about that, and will probably do so if the lender/billing agency doesn't take care of it. I was under the impression that I was supposed to first contact the people who reported it.

Comment

Originally posted by tictacsir View Post
        I thought about that, and will probably do so if the lender/billing agency doesn't take care of it. I was under the impression that I was supposed to first contact the people who reported it.
        No, you contact who is reporting the debt in error. They will notify your lender/biller of the dispute and will be verified (or not).
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Frogger is right, the FIRST prong of attack is the contact the reporting agency (Trans Union) and dispute the entry, not the lender.
          Last edited by HHM; 07-30-2011, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
            Frogger is right, the FIRST prong of attach is the contact the reporting agency (Trans Union) and dispute the entry, not the lender.
            OKay, that is not a problem I can do that. According to Transunion's website you can only contact them by letter. What's the proper way to go about this? Send a letter explaining the error and include documentation that shows I've been paying the bill on time?

Comment

Originally posted by tictacsir View Post
              OKay, that is not a problem I can do that. According to Transunion's website you can only contact them by letter. What's the proper way to go about this? Send a letter explaining the error and include documentation that shows I've been paying the bill on time?
              You can do both an online dispute and a letter dispute with TransUnion. I might just do the letter dispute. (An online dispute typically requires that you have an account and have run a credit report with them so that the electronic file number is known and they have identified you.)

If you do a letter dispute, make sure you follow the rules. They are strict about providing "identifying" information in order to prevent identity theft.
              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X