Did I just default?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I just default?

So all my student loans are on deferment except for 1 because it was too soon. When payment was coming due I went and applied for deferment with that loan to. I was under the impression that my deferment went through. However, I got a rude bill in the mail today saying I am 30 days late (which I'm not, not yet). WTH? Did I just default?

I haven't filed for bk yet but I am planning to as soon as I get my tax refund. I think I'm going to use an attorney. If I did just default does it even matter since I am filing for bk?

I'm sort of confused because I thought I was ok with this loan. I turned in all the paperwork and I def qualify for the economic deferment.

If you're thirty days late on a payment, it is highly unlikely that you defaulted. You are delinquent, which is something entirely different from defaulting. Pick up the phone and work it out with your student loan provider. I know it's a pain, but that's the best way to get things worked out.

Also, you asked whether or not a defaulted student loan would matter since you're filing for bankruptcy. Not sure why it wouldn't matter, since student loans are not discharged in bankruptcy absent a successful adversarial proceeding, which are never successful as long as the filing party is capable of working and making money going forward. The bankruptcy period will be one in which collection activities cannot go forward, but once the case is over, the student loan company can move forth with their collection efforts.

Comment

Thing is the loan SHOULD be on deferment. I sent the paperwork in in plenty of time. I even received a phone call saying the lady was doing my deferment. lastly I DO qualify for one. So yeah not sure what's going on but wanted to make sure that I'm not defaulted. I emailed the lady and will call on Monday. I just started a 8-5 though so it's going to be hard getting a hold of them. dang it!

I know loans can't be dismissed. I meant as far as deferment goes. A bankruptcy forces a deferment doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by TomTea31 View Post
        Thing is the loan SHOULD be on deferment. I sent the paperwork in in plenty of time. I even received a phone call saying the lady was doing my deferment. lastly I DO qualify for one. So yeah not sure what's going on but wanted to make sure that I'm not defaulted. I emailed the lady and will call on Monday. I just started a 8-5 though so it's going to be hard getting a hold of them. dang it!

I know loans can't be dismissed. I meant as far as deferment goes. A bankruptcy forces a deferment doesn't it?

I think technically it forces a forebearance.

The deferment would take the loans out of "default" anyway, and 30 day lates aren't even reported on student loans generally.

Comment

I called the university to find out what's going on. this loan is serviced through them. So the lady told me that she hasn't gotten to my deferment yet because she is busy. I can't beleive it considering I turned it on over a month ago and it was not in the middle of semester or anything. So anyway I'll keep an eye on it. she told me not to pay right now because she will get to it and it will be backdated.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X