HELP Me Understand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP Me Understand

I filed bankruptcy in 2002 and it was discharged in 2003. Of course at the time we could not included our student loans to be discharged. Now 9 years later my student loan debt has increased #1 from interest. I have had do do several forberances over the years, and #2 I just re enrolled in college in Fall 2011 because I was permanently laid off form my job. I am currently on unemployment, but my husband works. I can't afford to pay for college out of pocket, but need a degree to find a better paying job. I want to know if anyone has any information or heard anything about being able to go back to the court and amend or ask to have your student loans applied to the bankruptcy because a form of hardship that indicates that with the type of degree you obtained during the time you took out the loans, and the job/career and income you are currently in, it would create hardship for you to repay the prior loans. Has anyone heard of this? if so how do I go about doing this? I was also told that once this is done the person can take student loans out again to pursue a new degree path, and the old loans would be dismissed.

Student loans are almost impossible to get rid of. If you were disabled to the point of not being able to work - that would have the best chance.

You can look into Income Based Repayment though - it bases your payment on your income & household size.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X