top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asperger's Syndrome can get you a student loan discharge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asperger's Syndrome can get you a student loan discharge!

Some woman got her $340K student loan discharged. Perhaps this judge was a pushover, and Congress will soon ensure that this will not happen in the future. But it happened once!

But for now, get a psychologist to say that you have Asperger's, and you can discharge your student loan debt!

(I would post the link, but evidently, I'm not allowed to. You can search for it - "Asperger's discharge student loan")

She was also in her 60s. The judge probably realized that she was never going to pay the debt back anyway and gave her a break as she was going into her retirement years.

Comment

Like any other debt, even modest amounts borrowed can balloon with a high interest rate. I remember 12% student loan interest rates in the 80s. Plus, you lost about 10% of the money up front to processing charges.

Why should student loans be so hard to discharge, anyway? (Except to discourage the proles from borrowing to get an education, which doesn't seem to be working anyway).

I understand other non-dischargeable debt, because it's usually a situation where no one actually loaned you money! Child support. Taxes. Obligations, as opposed to money borrowed. But student loans are LOANS.
      Filed non-consumer no asset Chapter 7 on 7-12-10 after 4 foreclosures, 7 lawsuits including 2 deficiencies, 2 wage garnishments, a bank garnishment and a partridge in a pear tree. 341 held on 8-11-10. Discharge 11-4-10.

Comment

I am not surprised that somebody with Asperger's Syndrome was able to get student loan discharged. Student loans can be dischargeable if paying them would be an undue hardship. This debtor was probably able to show that due to Asperger's and the specific way it affects her, she is unable to earn enough money to support herself and pay the loan and never will be able to earn enough. It is very difficult to get student loans discharged, but not impossible, especially for debtors with permanent disabilities that affect their ability to earn a living. Even for those debtors, it is an uphill battle. Just because one person with Asperger's was able to get a student loan discharged, doesn't mean everyone with Asperger's will.
        Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 06-02-2012, 12:45 PM.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Comment

Awesome!!! Asperger's is not really a disability but all student loans should get to be discharged in bankruptcy anyway.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X