X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from FAFSA about my loans

Hello all!
    I got a spooky looking email from FAFSA about my student loans. It said:

"This SAR has been produced due to a change in your financial aid history information in the NSLDS that may affect your eligibility for federal student aid."

This pertains to my 2011-2012 FAFSA, and seeing as how I just graduated on June 25th, I'm completely lost at what's going on...I read a little further down the page and it said:

"The NSLDS indicates you have one or more student loans in an active bankruptcy status. Before you can receive additional federal student loans, you must contact the financial aid office at your school."

Um...once again...I've graduated and there are no more student loans being disbursed. We're slated to get our discharge around the end of this month, but I don't know if this is normal or what the heck is going on. I'm half-tempted to not worry about it, but I do want to know what's been going on. I was also sent a payment coupon from Sallie Mae asking for an interest payment for the interest that has accrued on my unsubsidized loans. If I were to send that in, would I get in to trouble? Would they not accept it?

Sounds like an automated response. Due to the bankruptcy filing, if you were to apply for more federal loans you'd need to sign a new promissory note. They don't know you don't intend to seek more. (Congrats on graduating!)
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Golly that almost sounds they are like coercing her to pay when she is protected by the automatic stay. Anyone else??
      ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
      Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

I don't think so.

If I'm right, its standard procedure. When you enroll in school, and take on your first loan, you sign a promissory note, accepting terms and such. That one is good as long as you don't have a break in school (I had to sign a new one when I went back after 3 years away) or if there is a bankruptcy filing. I don't know why on the BK note, just something of red tape? It has nothing to do with the loans already issued - just that an extra step is required should you need further loans in the future. I was able to 'sign' the document electronically, so nothing more than a few clicks.

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
        Golly that almost sounds they are like coercing her to pay when she is protected by the automatic stay. Anyone else??
        For the Sallie Mae bit, I think we need more information. When did you file, what did the notice from Sallie Mae actually say? During times when my loan has been in forebearance, I have gotten statements letting me know about accumulated interest and a notice that I could pay it if I wanted to. Was this actually a bill - with a due date and amount due - or just a notice of accumulated interest?
        ~Staci
        Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

I called DeVry on it.

I actually was able to discharge 2.5k of their debt AND we still got transcripts and a diploma!! Hubby rocked out with a full-time job, a disabled wife and 18 years since he was in college and graduated with highest honors. I admire him so much for this.
          ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
          Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

SMinGA2,
            The payment coupon was simply a "pay this interest amount unless you want it tacked on to your student loans". There was no due date, so I understand that the payment is completely optional. I would prefer to pay it online, but they've locked me out from their website due to the bankruptcy.

I'd like to pay the interest...just one less thing to worry about.

The notice was out of left field for me, since I had already graduated.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X